Day 00: On the Bike in Germany

Erding Travel Blog

Amy by the GS.

After a quick review on what one should and should NOT do on a motorcycle, then working through the insurance and waiver paperwork, we were handed the key to a 2007 BMW K1200GS.  Then we, a couple members of the tour group, and one of the tour guides took the bikes to a nearby military base to acclimate to the bikes and test them out.  One of the other GS bikes had some sort of engine malfunction and we had to spend some time trying to get him to a point to either fix it or get it replaced.  Just about the time they decided to replace it, they found the problem and we were on the road again.  We stopped back by the hotel for coffee and a short break.

After the break, we took the bikes out for a short (160km) jaunt through the German countryside.

Amy waiting patiently.
  I'm too tired to post the route now (almost midnight here) but will try to later.  It was a rather relaxed run, just enjoying the scenery (didn't look too much like Texas now).  Around 14:00 we stopped for lunch in a little village.  We ran through a little drizzle / mist before lunch, but it had stopped while we were eating.  However just a few km's down the road and we ran into some more rain.  Then some more rain.  Then some MORE rain.  Then it turn into an absolute frog strangler.  We decided to cut the route short and headed back towards Erding.  On the way, just running along and I started thinking to myself, "these rain drops are starting to hurt."  I looked down at my jacket sleeve and see hail pellets!!!  I just started laughing at the situation.  About 15km's away from the hotel, the rain finally lets up, just in time for me to see a sign that states "American Pie Party".  Not sure if it was for the dessert or the movie, but either way I found it humorous.

Upon returning to the hotel the remaining tour members had arrived.  There are two couples from California, one couple from Canada, one couple from Guatemala, one couple from Brazil, and the the two of us from Texas.  Twelve in all.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce prepping the GS.
Bruce prepping the GS.
Cleanest parking garage, EVER!
Cleanest parking garage, EVER!
German military base.
German military base.
Lunch stop.  Great zucchini soup.
Lunch stop. Great zucchini soup.
The GS posing for a pic.