The Longest Trek

Soraypampa Travel Blog

After a miserable night 'sleep', I comforted myself with several hot cups of coca tea, hot cocoa and the nice omelette that richard prepared for breakfast.

After some serious misgivings about this latest adventure I got myself into, I cast all doubts aside and looked forward to the eight and half hour trek, which was the most difficult part of the trek, we had scheduled for the day. Gasp!

We would be passing by the Salkantay pass, the highest part of the trek, at 4,600m/15,092ft asl.

We started walking at 7AM. I could not wait to get some sun to warm myself after the cold night and what was still a very cold morning.

I was so gung ho to start the morning trek. I had to wait for Simon for a few minutes and asked him what was the matter and he told me, "I just got the horse for you." Feeling confident, I replied, "Oh, I am walking!"

Boy, would I eat those words because after like twenty minutes I was signaling for Simon, with shortened breaths and legs that felt like lead.
"Simon, horse!"

It was my first time ever on a horse. I could not believe I have never been on a horse in all of thirty three years of existence and I am doing it on quite a challenging trek. Another brilliant result from my brilliant idea to go to Machu Picchu via the Salkantay trek. :D

After what felt like an eternity, the 8 hour trek for the day ended up being more like a 10 hour trek.

This was really shaping to be a very memorable trip indeed!

We camped at Challway, elevation: 2,920m/9,580ft. It was a warmer above zero night sleep for me! :D
jegs76 says:
4600m - that a lot!
Posted on: Sep 14, 2008
yadilitta says:
yes, this was a memorable experience. And you succeeded, yeah!!!
Posted on: Sep 14, 2008
Ballo, my best friend, through the…
Ballo, my best friend, through th…
My nightly fix of coca tea