We're back

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Lost in Saigon

We never really got the chance to explore last time we were here so now we're going to have a good look around, you never know we may even venture into a museum....well probably not actually but the thoughts there!!!!

The bus from  Mui NE, a mere 200 km away picked us up at 1.30, so even using a pessimists calcaulations surely we'd get to HCMC within 4 hours........but no...........the bus eventually dropped us off at quarter to eight!!!! 200 km in six and a quarter hours !!!! I'm not sure how many people were in our drivers family but I reckon we must have stopped at most of their shops along the way plus some of his mates. But anyway we're here again in Ho Chi and we immediately dive down the alleyways, like pro's running from the police, and we're happily secured into a nice guest house within 5 minutes, it's gotta be some sort of record surely, better get on the phone to Mr Guiness!!! Next food is on the agenda, what shall we have??????? hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I really gotta do something about these nostril hairs
..........how about Noodle Soup??????? YYYYEEEEEEEE  HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! The plan is hit with an unexpected hitch however when the place we got it from last time is closed - bugger!!! Fortunately at the end of the road, we find another stall...Feeeeewwwwweeeeeeeeeeeee panic over... so we eat ...and the verdict......not bad, small but perfectly formed, lacking a little in the veg department and no prawns but a good smooth taste!!!! Presentation could have been better but the price was good AND he  sold beer so extra marks there.....overall I think a 6.5...good going!!!...

Right then enough of the soup stories for now, next stop was Albatross Travel, a fantastic , travel agency, and a chat with Keiran who told us all about their tours from HCMC for the next day, then gave us a map and showed us a much better tour and one that was free, .

tasteless soup
.nice work...so after that really tricky desicion - a tour that costs or a free one we could do ourselves - it was time for a little liquid refreshment and some of that great cheap vodka we discovered on our last visit!!!!!

Next day , we did the whole city tour thing, war museum, independance building, a visit to the Mekong, a shopping centre or three where the window displays for New Year were incredible, and lunch in apparently the best Vietnamese restaurant in HCMC 'Chuc Don' , you'll find in in all the guides, and guess what we didn't have noodle soup..........well actually that's a lie, we did, but to be honest it wasn't too good..but we did have some great Vietnamese omelettes with prawns!!!!!! Just for the record the noodle soup was tasteless, far too clean , lacking in veg and relegation material, a mere 3 out of ten on the soup satisfaction scale!!! While we're doing that 'just for the record' stuff though everything else in there looked great and it was absolutely packed  and still the service was great so well worth a visit, just avoid the soup!!!

Later it was time to take advantage of the best Kebabs in Asia again before failing miserably in buying souveniers but never mind plenty more cities to come.

Lost in Saigon
I really gotta do something about …
I really gotta do something about…
damn good omelette