Welcome to Reykjavik!!!

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Radisson SAS SAGA

WOW..a five hour flight.  Glad it's over. We arrived on time at 0630.  We went thru security again and passport Conrol and finally they let us out...woo hoo. As soon as we stepped outside it was cold and windy and you could smell the ocean. We had our tickets for the bus and we were off to Reykjavik. It was a nice drive. Mike and I sat up front to see the landscape.  We changed buses at the station and we we where off again for a 10 minute drive to our hotel, Radisson SAGA. (Wirte a review later).  They let us check in early, while they were getting everything ready so we at breakfast.  They offered cheeses, fresh breads, fruit, meats, vegtables, scrambled eggs, bacon, juices, milk, and some very nice coffee. Our room was ready..nice!! We were going to rent a car but I think it's time for some sleep.

The Grill Restaurant
Both of our eye's are watering and are bloodshot.  We want to get up in a few hours and head down to the lobby to book some tours for the week. Not sure yet what there is to do or what is available in the month of October.  The Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon are on the top of the list.  And by the way..Hallgrimskirkaja Church is under construction. They have work going on the outside covering up the the front of the church.

We booked our first tour for tomorrow "THE GOLDEN CIRCLE CLASSIC"  and it was booked with Iceland Excurtions(Gray Line). It's going to be beautiful!!   Seeing Lake Pingvallavatn, Iceland Parliament Alpingi, Pingvellir(you can see two tectonic plate boundaries), Gullfoss(waterfall), and spouting hot springs of Geysir and Stokkur.

The Grill Restaurant

While waiting for the "Grill" to open up, we headed to the bar in the lobby. We both ordered rum and cokes. We got to meet a man and his wife from Holland. He was here for studies and he was here with a group of doctors. His name was Hans. We talked with them both for about thirty minutes. A very nice couple. We talked music, and why we came to Iceland, the best tours and my favorite politics. We had some good conversation. We then said our goodbyes and headed up to the seventh floor to the "Grill". You get some fantastic views of Reykjavik!! The food is fantastic and the service is superb. It's a four course meal(they call it the Chef's Discovery). WOW....we ate Ocean Perch, Shrimp, Pork Belly, Lamb, potatoes, fresh garlic butter and rolls, and a dessert that made your tounge slap the inside of your mouth. It's was so much more. The flavors..BAM!!  It has to be the best meal I have ever ate.

www.grillid.is

ejames01 says:
At the time we went the exchange rate was really good but I still found it a little exspensive.
Posted on: Dec 11, 2008
arlene0725 says:
Welcome to 'Bjork-land'!!! I'll be reading this blog. How is the US dollar competing with the prices over there. My brother was there 8 yrs ago for a holiday and told me it was expensive. best, Arlene
Posted on: Oct 23, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
Look forward to read more about your experiences in Reykjavik.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2008