Downtown Reykjavik and the Drive North to Akranes

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Me at a coffee shop downtown

We stayed up late last night for the Northern Lights so we slept in till 1000. Every morning this week we have been up at 0630. I think it has finally caught up with us.  I got up first and got ready and headed downstairs. Mike wanted to sleep a little bit more. It took me about ten minutes to walk downtown.  I stopped at a coffee shop and got a danish and a cup of coffee.  It was a short distance from there to the main shopping street of Laugavegur.  It's a beautiful street lined with trees and paved with cobblestones. I walked the street taking pictures.  it was so funny, I was walking around taking pictures and I hear a hey you, I turn around and it's Mike. We walked around taking more pictures and headed back to the coffee shop for more coffee.

Mike had drove downtown, so we headed back to the car and headed north out of the city.

Hvalfjörður Tunnel

Hvalfjörður Tunnel (Hvalfjarðargöng in Icelandic) is a road tunnel under the Hvalfjörður fjord in Iceland and a part of the Hringvegur. It is 5,762m long and reaches depth of 165m below sea level. Opened on 11 July 1998, it shortens the distance from Reykjavík to the western and northern parts of the island by 45km. Passing the fjord now takes 7 minutes instead of about an hour before.

We drove thru the Hvalfjordur tunnel and drove back around the fjord. There were farms with horses, sheep, and cows. The drive back to Reykjavik was beautiful. The road followed the edge of the fjord. Our drive took us about three and half hours.

There is one more thing I forgot to tell you.

Horses
  The morning that Mike and I were downtown on Laugavegur street, It had just finish raining and a man come riding his bike passed us moving quickly. We heard the slide of his tires on the street we turned and saw him fliping over the hood of a car. Apparently the man in the car pulled out from his parking space and did not see the man on the bicycle at all. The man in the car got out to check on the rider. The rider got up off the ground a little shaken but not hurt and he was wearing his helmet.  They both talked to each other and went their own ways.  Mike and I thought for sure that he had broken something.

While walking downtown they have certain parking spots for cars painted green. You can pull in and plug in and charge up your car.  They have regular gas stations or Hydrogen gas stations. They are ahead in so many areas compared to the United States.

Downtown Reykjavik