crazy driving, and hole in the ground toilets

Naples Travel Blog

so today was the absolutly the worst experiance in my whole trip, and excuse the typin, dang keyboard is different so this is taking forever to type. so sunday morning woke up early and me and the girl from north carolina, kate got ready and we figured out that there was a ferry from positano to naples, which even the locals did not know about! so we wanted to head down and check out some more shops at the bottom of the town before catching the ferry. we have our last breakfast on the terrace overlooking the amazing views, strap on the backpacks and head down. we cheated and took the local shuttle, for 1,50 euro its money well spent when u have some heavy ass backpack on. i know i have said this before, but i simply love positano, everything there is family owed, even our hostel, which was the only hostel in the whole town, which is great, means not a lot of backpackers head ofut there.

the only bad thing is that since the hostel is fam operated too, it meant a curfew, so going out at night is a no cause curfew is 1am and u get locked out, which happened to poor jane the night before i came, she spent the nights on the steps! so we head down and its just fun down at the beach, people out on the beach, shops alive , u have ur typical italian people here and its just so much fun to stop and look at ur surroundings. we hop on the ferry and set off to naples. holy crap i have never seen a ferry go so dang fast in my life, it was like we were on a speed boat. on the boat we met a italian family on holiday from milan, and had fun chatting with them, even tho the only one who spoke little english was the 15 year old daughter. we arrive in naples and decide to split a cab to the train station.
the ferry!
outside the ferry docks are a ton of cabs waiting. we come up to them and hear this loud itialian music blaring from one of the cabs. as we get closer this guy asks us if we need a cab, we do so we follow him. now he is the one who was blaring the italian music. we get in the car and he really does not turn it down much. it wa sgreat,  tru italian music too lol. as we set off, i find out this cab driver is nuts, wel not him but his driving. ^&^^&*(($#$ he was going fast! and not jst fast, i have never seen someone cut people off so much and squeeze thru traffic like this guy. i think my life lfashed before me like 5 times. he even got on the wrong side of the road in downtown naples to pass people up. oh man, it was def the most wild ride i have even been on.
bye bye Positano :(
after kissing land we get our tickets and wait and look around. a lil while kates train arrives, she is off to rome. we say our goodbyes and exchange info, which is awesome, i cannot tell u home many people i have met on this trip from around the world, i have a lot of contacts now which is awesome. it prob is one of the highlights of my trip, getting to know all these new people from around the world are hearing their stories. so i had some waiting to do for my train after that, i was taking a night train so boarding at like 730pm. i get some food at mcdonalds, which is the only cheap thing there lol and while im sitting there a girl who is pregnant is walking by asking for food saying she is hungry. in italy in general, there are a lot of people begging for money, more i have seen anywhere else.
when she aproached me i could not understand her but then realized she was hungry, now i know these people just might be hustling for money, but if she is begging she needs it more then i do, so i did end up giving her some money. the worst begging i saw was in rome, there was this one guy with huge tumors on his head on the ground begging. these images just keep staying in my head.

so got some gelato, mm had to since it was my last day in italy, i am not a ice cream person but there is something so dang good about gelato. and i sat and sat, waiting. the train station there is gross, its all outdoors and its blasted hot in naples. its dirty and smells, everywhere in italy freakin smells. and people and their smoking, i am allergic to smoke and everyone smokes, all over the place, same as in france.

so im sweaty and dirty and feeling pretty dang gross. i have like all my bags hooked to me cause im so worried someone is going to grab them and run off, which in there, so many people jsut look at u and its so nbusy u never know. i end up moving to anopther area and meet a egyptian guy from alexandria, very nice guy and chat up with him, while im doing this an american guy observes me speaking english anbd also start chatting, he is in the navy and stationed in naples. it def makes the time go by faster. after thezy head off to where thez go i decide to move, in hopes of less smoke and something not so freakin hot. i park it on the floor of the train station, cause there are never enough benches there, soo gross. some older italian guy, 40ish comes up to me and starts talking to me.
mt vesuvius
at this point, im already tired and feeling gross and want to be left alone. he speaks no enlish, i say in what lil italian i know im tired and waiting for my train and to have a nice day but i speak no english, well he still sticks around. im irritated at this point and just ignore him, i should have moved but i had all my bags hooked to me and jsut wanted him to piss off. then he starts tryin to talk to me again, ijust ignore him. then he reaches down and touches my face, i was like wtf. while im doing this his hand reaches down and grabs my boob. now instead of the last time, yes i feel violated but i am more pissed off so i start yelling at him go away then i remember how to say f*** off from this girl who taught me in rence, so i say it loud and over and over and grab my stuff and some train police guy sees it and the guy scoots off. man i hate how they keep on doing that there, it makes me feel alone and just creeped out and a lil paraniod cause im stuck in thistrain station and now im always looking to see if this guy is around me.

Finally my train starts boarding and i head on. im like the only one on at this point, then this guy, who is wearing a white shirt that looks like from the train station personal comes by looks at my reservation ticket and keeps it also asking for my eurail pass and passport. now thats my livleyhood there and i was not going to give it up. he tries telling me he gives it back in the morning but i did not want to part without it. i think he saw it in my face, as at this pointi was feeling scared and alone and was a sweet guy and kept saying its going to be ok and let me keep it. this girl comes in my room and she is italiian, monica and we start talking. i did ask her and she takes night trains a lot and sys they do that a lot of night trains and then give it back in the morning. after tho what i had been thro i just did not want to give it up. i mean the train had not taken off yet and the train stations and not closed off, any bum off the street can come onto them and there are tons of schkethy looking people in naples. he comes back and does speak english actually well, and was nice and said he will jsut let me keep mine if i wanted to instead of him taking it. thank god! the train sleeper room i booked this time had 4 beds, so it was more roomy then the one before. it was nice cause monica was kool and then 2 italian girls came in later who spoke no english. this was going to be a long trip, 12 hours on the night train to Udine italy, then catchanother train the morning at 1030am in undine to vienna , 7 hour train ride thatft one arriving around 530pm in vienna. it sucked cause i already felt gross from sweating at the train station and being around the smoke and in general grossness. i do end up falling sleep and getting some sleep, waking up a couple times when monica and those girls left to get off on their stops. the worst thing was i had to go to the bathroom, up until this point i had avoided doing this on trains , as just walking by a bathroom on a train smells so bad it can make ur stomach turn. i did it, and it was entirley disgusting and i held my breath the whole time. then around 6am i woke up and was pretty much up for the day. i cannot beleive it but i had to go to the bathroom again, dang water, well i was hell determined to wait til i got to the train stop. finally arrive at 8am there and i head off to find a bathroom, yes found one! i walk in andopen the stall, and its a hole in the ground, no toilet. oh HELL NO. i was tired, felt dirty and had to go soo bad , but not that bad. i was fustrated so i said outloud, oh f*** no, and i turn around and there is a nun right behnd me, i kid u not. i apologized and let her use the restroom if u can call it that and scooted out to find another restroom. man, in italy there are nuns all over the place. i mean i expected to see a lot in rome, especially around the vatican, but in train stations i see them a lot too, thez must travel a lot, but anyways, i thought i said seen a mcdonalds and so head there, but, the mcdonalds is closed. its very hard to find places with restrooms, a lot of cafes and stuff are small and not open to public with restrooms and stuff like that. i finally walked to the other end of the train station and found a bathroom, which was like paradise compared to the hole in the ground one, i make myself as presentable as i can and need to get some food. i go to a cafe at the train station and get some coke and a crouisant, weird i know but sounds good to me. i sitr and eat and then next to me is this younger guy. hge sees me with my map of europe and starts talking to me. his name is bryan, he is french and italian and speaks both , some englsih enough to keep our conversation going, he is not bad looking, not my type, preppy look going on and is in marketing. he is visting a friend in sweden. we talk and have a good conversation, he is waiting for the same train i am. we basically talk the whole 2 hours til the train came, he looked at my pass and i do have second class since i have the youth pass, he was nice and offd me his first class pass, but i declined as nice as it would have been, the tickets donät match up and i have run into many people fined on the train for this. we exchange contact info and i head off to my seat. the train is hot and very lil ac in there, just another thin g to make it uncomfortable. a lil while later i see bryan, he had grabbed his stuff and wanted to sit next to me, which the seat was open. it was kool to see him but i was so tired i was pretty much done talking but thought it was sweet of him. the train ride was hot and long and as we traveled on the train became packed. and the smell, the lil air on the train smelled so bad. now i have not been homesick since london really, ever since then i have been kool and havin a blast, but after being harrased sexually, hole in the wall toilet and constant heat, i so wanted to head home. but i stuck it out, that which does not kill u makes u stronger right and ended up on the train to vienna.

Naples