Under way

Detroit Harbor Travel Blog

The NW corner of Washington Island

I shoved away from the Apres Ski, shuffled my weight into a stable, comfortable unison with my own boat, and began swiping at the clear waters of Washington Harbor. Steering into a light northern breeze, I hugged the shoreline. As I began to round the northwest corner of Washington Island, I wrenched back for a final glimpse of Schoolhouse, nearing a mile away. The Apres Ski idled my speed at about a quarter mile distance and after waves of bon voyage and a few photos, she sped from view toward Sister Bay. Ready or not, I was on my own and my adventure under way.

Limestone cliffs rose vertical from the rocky shore as I rounded the top of the island. Waters were  shallow and glistened an eerie green. I was too near to spot the Boyer Bluff Lighthouse which was somewhere far above in thick woods.

The 'Apres Ski'
The southbound paddle matched the breeze making for a leisure three miles per hour. I bypassed West Harbor and Figenschau Bay and continued for its furthest point, a mistake I would later regret.

Rounding the bottom of the island, the top of Wisconsin's Door Peninsula and Plum Island swung into sharp view. Between them, the notorious Porte des Morts Passage; Death's Door. That treacherous and legendary passage is the namesake for Door County and Door Peninsula which juts out into Lake Michigan to form Green Bay. The passage looked flat and calm and I hoped would remain so for one more day.

I found Detroit Harbor and followed an oval Standard Oil sign into Kap's Marina, a three hour paddle from Schoolhouse Beach. A grumpy old man at Kap's wanted  $20 to park the kayak overnight in the mud and weeds near wooden boat slips. There were no campgrounds near the harbor. The kind folks next door at the ferry terminal, however, showed where to park the Klepper for free and told me of the nearby Cedar Point Inn. I took room 3 and found a ride into town.

The Apres Ski