Pushing North

Breezy Point Travel Blog

Sunrise at Fox

Between cooling nights and my own growing exhaustion, deep sleep came easier, sounder, and longer. The sun had already begun its rise above a gray horizon when I climbed out of the tent. The lake rippled by a southern wind that would work to my advantage. The small map that I carried showed a rather smooth shoreline all the way up to Ford River and I dreaded that boring 16-mile paddle. But after rounding the first point out of Fox, I was thrilled to see more fingers of land poking into Green Bay. Each broke that stretch into manageable segments and provided targets, or at least options; stop at this one for a snack, or the next for a lengthy break. Most of all, their passing showed progress. I ended up bypassing each jut of green land as others crept over the horizon. I kept steering for the furthest, preferring to keep moving. Scenery changed slow but steady and hours passed quickly.

Ford River was an intended stop for a meal or the night but I bypassed it too, staying a mile offshore and pushing for Breezy Point which had dominated my horizon for more than two hours. A stop at Ford would cost precious time and strenuous effort 'double-dipping' back out to good seas. Six hours after leaving the campground at Fox, I beached the Klepper in strong south winds at the Breezy Point Bar & Grill.

Breezy Point