...and One Big Boat

Cedar River Travel Blog

A Great Lakes ore boat (not the ship mentioned)

Thrusting with more torque than usual, I raced to clear the island before the power boaters hit their own throttles. Not all were equipped with radar like the  Apres Ski  and probably none would be watching for a hard-to-see kayak on the open waters. I had paddled free of the island before even a sailboat launched when a larger menace appeared from out of nowhere five or six miles to the east - a ship. It seemed to linger there motionless like a hungry predator waiting to pounce unsuspecting prey drifting into its territory. That would be me.

Anxious minutes passed before confirming the boat was growing larger, heading my way. By my estimate I should have already crossed the shipping lane but the sight alignment of her smoke stack and bow told me that I hadn't.

Land ho!
I picked up the pace while keeping a worried eye on the vessel and cursed myself, "What in the hell am I doing here?!" More frantic minutes passed until I saw that the ship's stack and bow were in perfect alignment at about a mile. An odd blend of joy and panic swept my mind for I knew that I could clear its path but at the moment was directly in it. Adrenalin kicked in by survival instinct to boost the Klepper's speed to an unprecedented five or six miles per hour.

I was nearly a hundred yards to the north when the tanker passed. I heard the rumbling whir of her diesel engines but saw no one on deck waving ahoy or shaking an angry fist at my stupidity. White spray arced from her bow as she sliced the lake but any wake went unnoticed in the already tossing seas.

A Cedar River greeter
The ship cleared Chambers Island then made a sharp turn south toward the city of Green Bay.

Though the Michigan shoreline always remained visible some miles to the west, and gradually closing, I was elated after nearly two grueling hours to finally sight land on my north horizon. I sensed the exhilaration and excitement that the early explorers must have experienced discovering the New Lands. After two more punishing hours, I approached a pair of offshore fishermen to ask if this was Cedar River. I had driven through the tiny settlement dozens of times on M-35 but had never seen it from out on the lake. "Four-five miles," they shouted, waving north. It was exactly five hours after leaving the island when I finally tied up at Earl's Yacht Club.

tvillingmarit says:
Nothing is like a good Adrenaline kick, glad you passed clear
Posted on: Oct 05, 2008
A Great Lakes ore boat (not the sh…
A Great Lakes ore boat (not the s…
Cedar River