The North Bay

Chambers Island North Bay Travel Blog

Chambers Island North Bay

I entered the large bay at the top of the island and beached the kayak near a sandy road leading inland. Wisconsin is definitely a boater State. More than forty powerboats and a few sailboats anchored along the beach of real sand and hardened mud. Others came and left in a clamor of noise, wake, and foam. Vacationers celebrating the Labor Day weekend lounged in portable chairs, enjoyed beach beers and barbeques, and swam or waded. Kids dove from a small barge serving as a steel pier while teens played volleyball behind grassy dunes. My neighbors from Horseshoe Island called out and waved, their three boats tied side-by-side. After walking the beach end to end, I followed the road to check out the airstrip which was less than a hundred yards in. A Cessna 172 parked midfield beside the north-south strip in the early afternoon shade of woods.

Chambers Island Lighthouse
I saw no movement so didn't walk down there. Flyers can sleep later than any boater.

Paddling around the northwest point, I found the Chambers Island Lighthouse. Built in 1868, the brown brick building squatted on a shallow hill cleared of woods. Spiral iron stairs led to the top of the tower and its spectacular views. Manicured grounds sloped west to the blue waters of Green Bay. Upper Michigan loomed seven miles away at the shortest crossing. I used a weather vane on the tower to align my map and look for Cedar River to the north but, yikes, it was beyond the horizon. To the southwest, a tree-lined cove with a sandy beach and moored sailboats looked almost tropical. The view east has been blocked by tree growth but a newer automated light on a high steel tower clears those woods.

With no overnight camping allowed at the lighthouse, I returned to the north bay and pitched my tent on its western end.

Camp on the west end