Going For It

Escanaba Travel Blog

Portage Point from Breezy Point

While I enjoyed a beer and burger at the Breezy Point Bar & Grill, the Weather Channel announced thunderstorms moving into the area later tonight on winds out of the north. I calculated that I could reach Gladstone before dark. After washing up and shaving in the restroom, I felt rejuvenated and decided to go for it.

The only obstacle preventing an easy run with the south winds right into Escanaba was Portage Point, a wooded strip of narrow land jutting two miles into the lake. A direct heading to its tip would hammer wind and wave elements into my right side for two-and-a-half miles. I compensated by steering east for a mile or more to merit a downwind leg three-quarters that distance then repeat the pattern. Each eastward leg was a struggle. Though the waves were less than two feet, they swept fast and furious in the shallow waters. Angling through them required tossing my weight side-to-side while twisting my torso and kicking the rudder pedals stop to stop. Water sprayed over the bow and an occasional whitecap lapped the deck to soak my back and butt.

I finally rounded Portage Point, sat back, laughed aloud, and surfed and sailed into Escanaba. The wind tugged my paddle like a small twin sail. Sand Island provided a sheltered shortcut on glassy waters along Ludington Park and through the Escanaba Marina. I stopped to stretch and walk around in aimless circles for awhile at that safe haven.

Approaching Escanaba