Craving a Cold One

Chambers Island Northeast Point Travel Blog

Heading toward Chambers Island

With wind and seas rolling from the south, I paddled southwest to test their feel and to find a more comfortable down-range angle for reaching the northeast corner of Chambers Island. Paddling west to its southern tip - and shortest crossing - would pound the elements into my left side. Any of the occasional rogue and random whitecaps could capsize a kayak or flood its hull, even the Klepper which is a rugged, sturdy, and stable sea kayak. Paddling directly toward my target, the same elements could sweep me into the open waters of Lake Michigan if they suddenly increased. A mile or two off the Strawberries, I found the angle where they would safely work to my advantage and swung the bow to place the NE corner of Chambers dead ahead at six or seven miles.

Nice beach
I was still far enough east to see the approaching seas by glancing left and not having to crane my neck. You should never take your eye off tossing waters.

Open water paddling can be rather boring since there are no references to confirm speed or progress. Each twenty minutes that ticked by on the pocket watch clipped to the left side of the cockpit indicated another mile should have passed. It took a long while to notice my advance. Stopping to drift for a drink and smoke, I glanced back to see that the Strawberries blended into the Door County mainland whose trees were partially submerged by horizon. Another forty minutes passed when details began to finally appear on Chambers: offshore fishing boats, a few buildings, a pick-up truck, and trees flickering silver leaves by the wind.

Nearing my goal, I was treated to what appeared to be a thick white sand beach. It marked the NE corner of Chambers for a hundred yards or more. When I beached the Klepper to stretch, snack, and pee, I found the white 'sand' to be some kind of crunchy sea shells. They seemed out of place on a freshwater lake. With a cloudless sky and the deeper waters of Green Bay tinted a darker blue, the scene resembled the tropical setting of a Corona television commercial.

cmgervais says:
Mmm, Corona. Sounds good right now.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
Nice beach
The Northeast Point on Chambers Is…
The Northeast Point on Chambers I…
Chambers Island Northeast Point