Another Unexpected Encounter

Fox Travel Blog

The Klepper beached at Fox

I continued toward the Fox Campground - another six miles up the shore. About a mile out of Cedar River the wind completely died and water became eerily calm. My advance noticeably slowed and the eighty-two degree temperature became apparent in stagnant air that thickened. Hearing an approaching motor, I glanced back to see Jim and Sandy - immediately recognizable by Jim's trademark Greek captain's hat. They were avid boaters and casual acquaintances from Gladstone who had moved their boat to Cedar River. Someone back at Earl's had told them that a kayaker had passed through and asked about them. We chatted adrift in glassy gray shallows off Deadman's Point for about twenty minutes. I hadn't seen them in several years so it was a pleasant surprise. Once clearing that point, the winds and waves mysteriously resumed.

I found the campground at Fox and picked a site nearest the Klepper which I had unloaded and heaved onto the grassy shore. With the Labor Day weekend over, all but two or three of the lakefront sites were available. After a Spam sandwich, washed down with the last of my Gator-Ade, I climbed into the tent and slept.

My campsite at the Fox Campground