Against the wind

Round Island Travel Blog

Round Island

Stonington Peninsula blocked the northern wind nicely. With Lake Michigan four feet below normal level, its distant shoreline gave the appearance of wide beaches but was actually limestone rock. I bypassed Wilsey Bay at nearly a mile offshore. Its several mile shore had road access and was dotted with hunting camps and summer homes. It amazed me how far sound traveled on wind and water. I could hear voices and the sputtering noise of four-wheel ATVs but never saw their source.

Passing Chippewa Point, I lost protection from land and pushed into wind and waves for a grueling four final miles. The first and last hours of a long day kayaking always seemed to be the longest. It took exactly nine to reach Round Island, about 22 miles from my starting point in Gladstone.

Round Island sunset

Round Island had a gray landscape that looked lifeless except for thousands of seagulls. They all circled and shrieked in excitement, watching their intruder round the island searching for a camping spot. The entire island was rocky and hilly and covered with bird crap. Most trees were dead and bare. The only somewhat level ground that I found big enough for my tent was on the north side and just a couple of feet from the water's edge. Flies swarmed and mosquitoes buzzed while I pitched my tent and prepared a hot dinner. Cajun sausage, red beans, and rice was an easy meal since all I had to do was boil water to heat its packet. I used lake water for that as well as for coffee, saving the several one-gallon jugs that I hauled for cold drinking water. Fortunately the winds died down and the lake became almost glassy. There was nowhere to go and not much to do on Round Island after sundown so I climbed into the tent and slept.

Campsite on Round Island