Halloween Weekend

San Ignacio Travel Blog

Fri 31 Oct 2008

At 6:30pm, almost all of the Cornerstone volunteers were set out to volunteer at the Monster Bash in Santa Elena. All of us except for Elliot were dressed up:

Tiff: Athena, Greek goddess

Tanya: a flight attendant

Bethany: cowgirl

Alyssa: 80s geek

Jodine: pirate

Jaime: rainbow

Kyle: The Predator

I made a toga out of one of our white sheets and created my own crown. In the morning, Miss Nellie and Miss Marta plucked the leaves off a Guatemalan plant for our lunch. I tied together the vines for the base of my crown. Then, I plucked some large glossy leaves from an orange tree in our garden and sewed them into the base. After picking purple and yellow flowers around the neighborhood, I sewed them into my crown and walla! My costume was complete!

The most amazing costume, however, was Kyle’s. He had spent all night and part of the afternoon working on his Predator costume. I’ve never seen the animated character, but it looked like he did a pretty good job. He used old bike tires for dreadlocks, corrugated cardboard for a shoulder, mask and arm guard, egg cartons and belts for straps, Sprite bottle pieces and rubber bands for toenails, and wood for an arm weapon. He went bare-chested, but wore a cloth around him like a skirt. The costume parts and parts of this body were painted black. Added to all that was his Predator grunt.

Honorable mention would be Jodine’s pirate costume. She found a jacket at one of the neighborhood shops and embroidered a pirates ship onto the back of it. Plus she had all the accessories and knife to boot. All except for a talking parrot and hook.

Despite the fact that we went to the Monster Bash to volunteer, not many of us did much. The guys in charge were poor managers and we were bossed around sometimes and then didn’t have any work to do for long periods of time. Pretty soon, we gave up. Tickets were sold all over the country, but the location of the old warehouse seemed in the middle of nowhere. A few good bands played, but not that many people showed up. Only a few people besides us were dressed up. A few of the attendees entertained us with fire dancing, which was amazing.

Sat 1 Nov 2008

On Sat. night, a group of us went to the Serani Concert at the Cahal Pech Entertainment Center. Originally, I wasn’t going to go since I’m not really into music, but I figured it would be a good cultural experience. After a long time waiting in line, we entered the building which was split up in 2 rooms by a glass wall. The first room was moderately populated and had a live video feed of the stage in the next room. The glass wall was completely fogged up by the hoards of people in the second room. It was so crowded in there I felt like I was at a frat party. We made conversation for more than 3 hours, until Serani finally came on. By that time, Tanya, Alyssa and I were the only Cornerstone people left. We sweated it out among all the other wet bodies and attempted to have a good time. Serani didn’t even play a full song and was only on stage for about 20 minutes. Of the portions of songs that were played, half of the time Serani wasn’t even singing, the audience was. So much hype! To give him some credit, some locals did enjoy him, but others were just as disappointed as we were.

Sun 2 Nov 2008

I hadn’t gone to bed till 6am, since I was still awake after the concert and decided to watch movies. So I didn’t get back up until 2pm. By that time, Alyssa, Jodine, Tanya and Bethany had gone to Cahal Pech Resort pool. Being that the weather was good, I planned on heading to the Cahal Pech ruins and maybe catching up with the others afterward. After a heated walk up the hill, I paid the $10BZ entrance fee, and walked along the trail to the ruins. The ruin that appeared first was Plaza B. There was another tourist taking photos and I could hear children playing in the distance. I wondered whether I could climb up on the limestone. Just as the thought came to mind, a young girl peeped out from above. There was my answer. I proceeded to photograph the ruins, which were built beginning in 1000B.C. They were different than I expected – I had seen numerous photographs of Chichen Itza and had those in mind, but these were of a different era.

Nonetheless, the structures were amazing – being that they were still standing after thousands of years. How many buildings have we created in this era that have only withstood a few decades? I climbed around, trying not to slip on the moss, which was growing practically everywhere. Kids were playing in the courtyard of Plaza B. It was pleasant to see locals enjoying and appreciating the ancient space.

Cahal Pech consists of 34 structures within 2 acres. The ceremonial center includes several pyramid temples, palaces, 2 ball courts and what is thought to be a sweathouse. Five stelae and an altar show presence of the stela cult.  The Maya abandoned Cahal Pech by 800 A.D.

I walked through and around several door terraces, and climbed several staircases. There were a few small rooms and benches. I also scoped out an area enclosed by an unlocked metal gate. It was large enough to climb into, but then turned into a narrow tunnel that was too small for my hips. It was probably blocked off to prevent children from getting stuck. By photographing with my camera on the ground, I could see the other end of the tunnel. I wonder what function it served.

Cahal Pech closed at 5pm, 1 ½ hrs after my arrival. The area was small enough to check out at a leisurely pace with that amount of time, but then I discovered some trails running out back. Curious, I walked in the direction opposite of the entrance and discovered many narrow trails excellent for running. After walking for some time, I came out onto a wide dirt road and wondered which one it was. After some walking around, I entered the trail again, chose a different pathway, and ended back at Cahal Pech. Since it was getting late and I doubted my roommates were still at the pool, I made my way to the ice cream shop, where I ran into them. Of course, I indulged in some tasty sugarcorn ice cream.

San Ignacio