Belize Zoo

Belize District Travel Blog

Wed 5 Nov 2008

Leave it to Tanya, Bethany, and I to get our visas renewed at the last minute. Before we left for Belmopan, the power went out, so it was a good day to leave the city. The visa process was quick and painless. Bethany and I decided to head to the zoo for the afternoon. We grabbed lunch at one of the stands near the bus station, and I must say the $2.50BZ burrito was amazing!! I easily could have eaten another one.

The zoo is located ½ hr east of Belmopan. It’s pretty small, but well worth the trip. The first animal we saw was the tapir, Belize’s national animal. It was pretty lazy at first, but when we rounded the dead end and came back, it was more active. It came right up to the fence and curiously stuck it’s snout through, trying to get as close to Bethany and I as possible. He was pretty funny looking and smelly, but entertaining.

We saw and photographed several other Belizean animals, of which I’ve forgotten the names. Of course, there was the national bird, the toucan. The most entertaining creatures were the howling monkeys. They were swinging and climbing on branches, and howling. Bethany and I were immersed in their activity. After the zoo, we had our first taste of picking up a bus on the side of the highway. It took 3 tries before we caught a ride.