Verona

Verona Travel Blog

I was sad to leave Bologna that morning. It was not a particularly big city and there were not a great deal of things to do or see but it felt like there was something special about the place (not to mention the great food). We caught our train to Verona with minimum fuss (we were getting good at this Italian rail system by this stage). I was tired and grumpy by the time we got there. I wanted to get out right away and start exploring the place as we only had the one day there. Adrian however wanted to hang out at the hotel reading up about the place which I felt was a waste of time. Our little hotel was lovely however, right in the middle of the city as well! It was more of a guest house than a hotel I guess and the owner was a lovely lady who spoke no English.

We finally got out of the hotel and found some food. We were a bit unsure of where to go for food as it all looked so touristy. I had my first Italian pizza which was quite nice. After lunch we checked out the Arena (big ancient Roman amphitheatre) which was pretty cool. We walked through the main plaza and admired the Venetian buildings. We caught a glimpse of 'Juliet's Balcony' AKA tacky tourist rubbish. Verona was a very pretty town and we walked along the river eating more lemon gelati. Eventually we got sick of sight seeing and collapsed in a quiet park on the other side of the river.

That evening we treated ourselves to a great three course dinner at a decent looking restaurant. We ordered some lovely wine and it was a really nice night:)

Verona