Roman ruins by lake Garda

Desenzano Travel Blog

We were sad that today would be our last day in Italy. We did our best to leave early but spend too much time consuming the delicious breakfast provided by the guesthouse (pastries, chocolate, fruit, cereal, cheese, mmm). We ended up having to wait around at the train station as the next train was not until around 10am or so. We were planning on traveling to densenzano, a town at the bottom of lake Garda and hopefully catching a ferry up the lake observing the beautiful scenery. Unfortunately it was a bit late but the time we arrived to catch the ferry (we had to leave that afternoon on a train back to the airport). We spent the day wandering around densenzano which turned out to be quite nice. There was a beach with people sunbathing but it was far too hot and there was no shade. We found a museum built on the site of ancient roman ruins, including some beautiful mosaics.

I did not think I would be particularly interested by this sort of thing but I was actually quite fascinating.

We had lunch at a tacky tourist cafe which involved some bad pizza and nice cold beer before making our way back Bergamo train station. Our airport was apparently only a 10 minute drive away however trying to buy a ticket for the shuttle but was a bit confusing. We had not figured it out by the time the first bus departed so we decided to wait another half hour for the next. I was tempted to just jump on the first bus without a ticket but it was a good thing that my conscience got the better of me. When we finally figured it out and caught the bus, ticket inspectors jumped on a few stops later and gave the tourist behind us a fine for not having one.

I totally loved our trip to Italy, I can't wait to go back and explore more of the south!!

Desenzano