First swim in the Mediterranian

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

Beer on the beach, awesome.

That afternoon we managed to catch our train without too much stress. The trains have individual cabins and were quite comfortable! We had to change trains at Genoa and head towards La Spezia where we wod change again.

When we reached La Spezia we wanted a bit of a break (it was very hot by this stage and the new train was packed so we had to stand) so we jumped off. We headed for the coast and found a cute little beach complete with a bar! We grabbed a couple of beers and chilled out on the sand enjoying our first views of the beautiful blue Mediterranian. To the west were mountains with dark and ominus looking clouds and we suspected they were headed our way.

Manarola
It was still beautiful and sunny on the beach and we both went for a quick paddle. Altough most of the beach was nice and sandy, it became a bit rocky once you entered the water.

Our predictions turned out to be correct, the storm was definetly headed our way. We held out as long as we could but when the locals began packing up we figured it was time to leave. We made it back to the train station just in time, it poured!

The rain had mostly cleared when we reached Manarola Station (the tiny costal village where we were staying). We managed to find out hostel quite easily, right up the top of the hill next to the big church. The views from the hostel were fairly amazing but we did not hang around long, we were soon back down in the village munching on pizza and admiring the sunset.

Manarola
We decided to dine at a restaurant with direct ocean views. It was a little pricier than its rival up the road but we figured it would be worth it. I ordered tomato spaghetti as an entree which was silly as I was full before my meal arrived. For my main I ordered a local speciality of baked sardines with tomatos and potatos and other tasty stuff. The meal was OK, but not great. I was a little dissapointed I guess, espacially when the bill arrived (ouch)!

Back at the hostel I got chatting to an Aussie girl in my hostel room (the hostel rooms were single sex only). She told me about her 40+ day Contiki trip and how great it was. She also mentioned that her and a few Canadian girls she had befriended had attemped the hike between all five villages along the coast. The did not make it to the end as they were caught in the torrential rain. She told me the hike was quite difficult which made me nervous as Adrian and I were set to do the hike the next day. We went to bed fairly early that night and I dreamed that I could not do the hike because I was sick (trying to make excuses?).

Cinque Terre