Leaving Brussels for the Balkans without any ties or plan is a joy.

Brussels Travel Blog

Leaving Brussels

Leaving Brussels for the Balkans without any ties or plan is a joy.

We had originally planned to leave for the Balkans early in the morning but my girlfriend and I looked at each other and agreed upon that we were not in any kind of hurry.

We therefore decided to sleep until we woke; well it was mostly my girlfriend because she is a good sleeper. Just before lunch we packed, using our standard road trip packing; each packing a big sports bag with way too much clothes in.

We left Brussels close to 1pm and after some very local construction work, as always in Brussels, we were on our way. We headed for Luxembourg. Leaving in the middle of the week and at noon meant that the traffic was modest, which was a nice way to start a trip.

From Luxembourg we turned into France and the northern part of Alsace with is a beautiful area. The French toll motorway is a great road to follow and I always find it worthwhile to pay driving there; the road quality is very high, they have great rest places along the way and the traffic is modest.

We passed Basel in Switzerland after approx. 5 hours on the road and drove towards Lugano and the Gottard tunnel. Driving in Switzerland is as always fantastic; the scenery is awesome with the different shades of the green colour and also with the high mountains next to you. Especially the last 50 km towards the Skt. Gottard tunnel is breathtaking.

We entered Lugano at 8pm and headed the last 15 km towards Menaggio in Italy where I had booked a hotel on Bookings.com just 5 min before we left Brussels.  My girlfriend had insisted that we should visit the outlet Fox Town on our way to Croatia and Mendrisio where Fox Town is situated was just a small trip from the hotel the following morning.

I was looking forward to the beautiful scenery of Lake Lugano in the morning drive towards the outlet. I had been spending some nights in this region and the views driving here are fantastic. I love this place.

Chokk says:
I would go for Split (the old town, and Klis fortress) Dubrovnik (the city) Mostar is a must too, Kotor and otherwise just follow the coast to Albania - it is stunning and beautiful. There are so many nice places in that region and the people are wonderful
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010
Morle says:
Great blog! I might visit some of those places as well in March. Seems like you visited a lot of places within only two weeks. What are the places that I should definitely visit and which ones would you say I could skip if I had to?
Posted on: Dec 25, 2010