World Harbour Days

Rotterdam Travel Blog

The airport
The world harbour days in Rotterdam are an annual event honouring Rotterdam and its harbour. Three days of pleasure in the centre of the city, with excursions to the harbour. There are also demonstrations being given by the marine.
Along the river lie special ships with all sorts of purposes. Examples are historic sailboats, the Dutch marineship the 'Rotterdam', and freighters.

As it was my dad's birthday a couple of days ago, my mom and I decided to give him a scenic flight above Rotterdam as a present. My dad was born and raised here and always reads books about the city. As such we arrived at Rotterdam Airport yesterday. This small airport is a perfect starting point for a scenic flight. After going through customs we boarded the aircraft.
Delft
It was a small plane, placing a maximum of 4 people. With the wings above the cabin we had a clear view of Rotterdam. Well, we were lucky with the weather too. The forecast was cloudy with occasional rain, but the whole day it was sunny.
After some taxiing we took flight. First we flew to Delft, the Westland, Hoek van Holland and Spijkenisse. Finally we arrived at Rotterdam. It was fantastic to see the city from above. Everything looked so tiny. After circleling above the city centre, we made our way to Kralingen and then back to the airport. Half of me was happy that we were landing, because there was so much turbulence. The other half was disappointed that the flight was over. But however you may put it, this was an experience to remember!

After the flight we went to the city centre to take a look at the hustle and bustle.
Golfcourse
We've visited the World Harbour Days many times before, but it has never led us down. We arrived at the metro station 'Kralingse Zoom' to take the metro to the centre. My mom and I were glad that the car ride was over, because we were still nauseous from the turbulence.
We started our walk at the Leuvenhaven. We made our way through the historic boats, cars and trucks to the Eramusbridge. The beauty of that bridge never seizes to amaze me. We walked along the pier to the Euromast. We passed many boats, including a submarine and two freightships. As is happens, people were abseiling from the Euromast. With a height of 100 metres it must be a terrifying experience.
At the euromast too, ended our day. We went home with this great day forever in our memories.

CFD says:
Interesting air photos ;) Ive been in Rotterdam with both tankers and dry goods ships and Ive never seen it from the air :)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
The SS Rotterdam
Marineship The Rotterdam
Marineship 'The Rotterdam'
Euromast
Abseilers dangling from the euroma…
Abseilers dangling from the eurom…