The steaks are amazing

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

La Recoleta cemetery

This is my third day in BA now and I love it. Firstly, it´s an attractive town to be in with big wide boulevards and some good architecture and lots of parks too. It´s also a fun place to be in, where nightlife starts very late but is really good.

The day I got here I went to the cemetary at La Recoleta, which is the famous one with the tomb of Evita and all the tombs are ornate, big, spectacularly decorated. It´s like walking through a town in miniature. I also walked from there to the Casa Rosada (The Pink House) and had a look at the obelisk too, which is on the Av 9 de Julio, just a stone´s throw from the hostel I´m staying in. It´s very central and very good, although I won´t be trying their full english breakfast again. No way jose!

I can eat steak for every meal here, it´s so good.

The tomb of Evita
Last night we went to one of the top restaurants in BA for steak, called La Cabrera in Palermo viejo. Wow and wow again for extra emphasis. I had a huge slab of ribeye (ojo de bije) all to myself and they also gave us a huge array of delicious condiments. No space allowed for vegetables or salad here.  I had it done jugoso, or rare, and it was very bloody indeed. Almost as dark as the red wine we were drinking. The steak knife they gave us was like a machete. They also gave us a free dessert, which was a plate to share of small portions of fondant au chocolat, ice cream, a coffee dessert and too kinds of apple pie. The service was excellent and easily made up for the fact that we had to wait about 2 hours to get in there, because it is so popular.

I´m off to Boca now, to see the most colourful and vibrant barrio in Buenos Aires. And see if I can get a stadium tour of the Bombonera.

cordobazo says:
They do give you huge knife to cut the meat! That is how we do it in the farms. Glad that you had a good time there.
Posted on: Oct 05, 2009
La Casa Rosada
La Casa Rosada
Buenos Aires Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A dining experience par excellence: Great service, great steaks
The size of the queue tells you much about the reputation of this restaurant. But while in the queue they serve you champagne and chorizo. Lovely. … read entire review