The beach week

Mancora Travel Blog

The last week since leaving Lima has been almost exclusively spent in beach towns, although I have to admit I didn't sunbathe even once in that time.

Up until Friday night, Sanjay and I were in Huanchaco. It's a very quiet beach resort, with very little nightlife, but great surf conditions and the town itself isn't too bad. We did one lesson on the second day, but both agreed that it would be more fun just to watch the experts showing how to ride the waves. So the rest of the week was spent wandering along the beachfront, having a look at the nearby town of Trujillo and eating some excellent barbecued fish and ceviche.

Talking of ceviche, I think that's possibly what gave me a stomach bug on Friday night that ruined the bus ride to Piura, from where I was going to take a bus in the morning to Mancora. Instead, I spent a day in hospital with severe dehydration as I couldn't keep down the water I was trying to drink to rehydrate. It wasn't an unpleasant experience to be in a Peruvian hospital, just a bit boring watching the level of the IV bag drop very slowly! They wanted to keep me in overnight just to be sure, but there was no way jose I was staying there and with an arsenal of medications I was released and stayed in a hostel with cable TV to entertain me for the evening.

The next day I got to Mancora, a one street fishing village in the very far north of Peru, with a reputation for parties and it certainly wasn't easy to get to sleep with the dormitory filled by very loud music from the beach and the hostel itself. I spent most of the time here reading in the shade, as t was 35 degrees Celsius or more and very humid. The kind of place where you need a shower again by the time you finish towelling yourself down after a shower. I feel like an old grump, but the dodgy stomach has left me far from a party mood. Off to Quito next, in Ecuador.

Mancora