Torres del Paine

Torres Del Paine Travel Blog

In the last week I have moved up from Ushuaia up through Chilean Patagonia to Puerto Natales.

Firstly I spent two nights in Punta Arenas. It's quite a shabby town, I really only stopped to see if I could see some more penguins at Isla Magdalena, where there is a very large colony. However, boats weren't running because of the weather and so I just went by bus to a place called Otway sound, where there was a smaller colony but we got to see more of their nesting areas from a respectful distance. No more penguins please!

On Friday morning I took the bus to Puerto Natales and began an internal debate about whether or not I wanted to do a trek in Torres del Paine national park. The main draw is the three "towers", or torres, that at sunrise sometimes are lit up a fiery red colour. To use the refugios in the park is astronomically expensive (40 US dollars a night!), so my best option was to camp and cook my own food. Luckily the equipment hire of tent, stove and pots and pans wasn't very expensive. On Saturday I spent much of the day organising myself to that end, and attended a very useful seminar at the hostel about how to do the trek and prepare for it.

Sunday morning we set off to the park at 7.30am. The first day trek was 18km towards Lago Pehoe, including some stunning views of the mountains over the lakes, which are a beautiful shade of blue.

Monday was a long day. I walked up to the viewpoint for Glacier Grey, then returned to camp to collect my backpack and walked up to the next camp in Valle del Frances. After lunch I walked up to the viewpoint at the top of the valley with great views of the Cuernos ("Horns") del Paine and some other impressive peaks. At this point I met up with some israeli girls, one of whom I met in Ushuaia, with whom I would walk the rest of the trek. Noam, Ifat and Rotem.

The longest day was Tuesday, where we walked almost 30km, up hill and down dale and across some tricky river crossings. We finally arrived at 6.30pm after nine and a half hours of walking.

We woke up at 4am on Wednesday to scramble up the moraine to the viewpoint for the towers. I brought my sleeping bag, roll mat and stove and made tea and cup-a-soup while watching the sun come up and bathe the towers in sunshine. Unfortunately we didn't get the full fiery red effect, but it was worth it nonetheless to see them. The last day walk was only 2 hours down out of the valley to a hotel where the bus picked us up.

Back at the hostel, I took my time to enjoy a hot shower and a rest well deserved!

Today I have just been running around trying to prepare for the ferry ride to Puerto Montt, with boarding on the ship this evening.

Torres Del Paine