Ticked off

Sandford Travel Blog

I wanted to finish my blog with a summary, or a look at the places I went, the latitudes and longitudes I reached, etc.

I visited 12 countries on my travels, of which only the last two I had been to before (in order of discovery):

Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, United States of America, Canada

54 degrees South (Ushuaia, Argentina) to 51 degrees North (Whistler, Canada)

41 degrees West (Arraial do Cabo, Brazil) to 126 degrees West (Tofino, Canada)

Highest altitude (not including flights):

4760m at the summit of Puracé Volcano (near Popayán, Colombia), although one guide on the Uyuni Salt Flats tour from Chile to Bolivia claimed that we would reach 4900m on the journey across the altiplano.

Lowest altitude:

-18m, the maximum depth that Open Water divers can go to, at Taganga in Colombia.

Longest and shortest time spent in one country:

8 weeks in Argentina, about 1 hour in Paraguay (next shortest is 5 days in Ecuador)

Football matches attended:

Brazil 0-0 Bolivia (10th September, Rio de Janeiro), River Plate 0-1 Boca Juniors (19th October, Buenos Aires), Seattle Sounders 0-1 Kansas City Wizards (11th April, Seattle) - clearly I'm a curse on home teams!

Longest journey:

23 hours, both from Puerto Iguazu to Cordoba (Argentina) and from Santiago to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) - surprisingly not that hard to bear with a good book and selection of movies.

Unfortunately, having seen so many beautiful places and sights, each one spectacular in its own ways, it is impossible to define a favourite place, or a favourite beach, or a favourite country. Ok, I could reasonably put Colombia and Argentina at the top of that last list, but can't choose between them and loved certain parts of several of the other countries! Even the less exotic beauty of USA and Canada made for a wonderful end to the trip that I will never forget. Often the experience being shared with travel buddies raised an okay place to a higher rank in the memory and raised the really good ones into the dream team of favourite places. I was fortunate to meet many people on the trip, despite setting out and coming back alone, and hope to keep in touch with as many of them as possible.