Russian roulette and whales

Puerto Madryn Travel Blog

Punta Piramide, where we saw some whales

The reason I came to Puerto Madryn was to see the marine wildlife, particularly whales. Incidentally, this area was colonised by a group of settles from Wales, trying to keep the welsh language going while it was dying out back home.

Yesterday when I arrived it was a lovely day, mid 20s celsius with a light breeze. In the morning went to the pier to see if any whales were active in the bay, but it appears they have moved further along the gulf before leaving these waters in December for their migration. So, as it was a nice day, I grabbed my towl and swimming shorts and went into the "cold" south atlantic ocean. It was very pleasantly warm actually! And spent the rest of the afternoon sunbathing. Who would believe it possible in Patagonia? Must be global warming.

The reference to russian roulette is nothing to do with whales, so rest easy environmentalists! Raul, a spanish guy who I met again on the bus here, had bought what he thought were the chillies that are only hot in one out of ten.

A sea lion at Punta Piramides
So in theory, one of us might have been unlucky to eat the hot one. Unfortunately, he didn´t know that such a beast doesn´t exist here. Everyone who tried one, including me and a spanish girl we amazingly convinced to eat one (even though she could see we were both suffering), lost that particular game of russian roulette.

Today we took the bus to Puerto Piramide, in the national park of Peninsula Valdes, but the boat trips to see whales weren´t running because of the high winds or some such excuse. So we walked up to Punta Piramides and saw a handful of sea lions doing nothing at all and a few whales from a distance, but not doing any spectacular tail waving. But I´ve seen the whales and now i can move on, perhaps with time to see Magellanic penguins tomorrow before my bus to Rio Gallegos in the very far south of Argentina.

Punta Piramide, where we saw some …
Punta Piramide, where we saw some…
My only whale sighting
My only whale sighting
Guanacos, related to llamas.
Guanacos, related to llamas.
Puerto Madryn