El Calafate Travel Blog

In the last few days I´ve moved a long way south from Puerto Madryn.

On Friday, before the big push south, I took a bus down to Trelew and then onto Gaiman. The latter is the most welsh of the towns settled by the welsh communities who left the homeland to safeguard their language. It was originally a typical barren patagonian landscape of shrubs and the odd guanaco (from the llama family), but they introduced trees and greenery and now you might think you were in Wales if you couldn´t see the outer edges of town.

I was surprised that a) I wasn´t the only tourist and b) the tourists, apart from one I overheard speaking, weren´t even welsh or british but american and french!

Gaiman is most famous for tea houses, to serve their traditional afternoon teas.

Perito Moreno glacier
I went to a place called Plas y Coed, which served a very generous portion of cakes and tea. There is also a place on the other side of the river, in very spectacular gardens, where one Diana, Princess of Wales, once made an appearance.

After I got back from Gaiman to Trelew and had a butchers around town, I got on the bus to Rio Gallegos for 18 hours. Not the longest bus journey so far, that was Pto. Iguazu to Cordoba. In Rio Gallegos I got the next bus to El Calafate.

The reason almost everyone comes to El Calafate is for the Parque Nacional Los Glaciares and the most accessible is Perito Moreno glacier. I took a boat trip to the northern face of the glacier and then the walking tour along trails that overlook it and also go down to the face that touches the land. It´s really awe-inspiring to look at, plus the thunder and cracking noises that come from within are both unsettling and exciting because you hope you might see a major fall of ice from the glacier. I was lucky enough to see that from afar.

El Calafate