PADI Open Water Diver! Woo-hoo!

Taganga Travel Blog

The purpose of coming to Taganga was to learn to scuba dive, which I have never tried before. I have done snorkelling, but I always feel like I'm missing out on the good stuff, and so I was proved right.

Taganga is just below the Parque Nacional Tayrona, an area renowned for great beaches and surrounded by jungle, but is in an arid zone with many cactii growing. The beaches are ok and there is some good snorkelling to be done, but Taganga is the cheapest place to learn to dive in South America and it has some excellent marine life.

On my first open water dives I saw moray eels, a turtle and some lobsters. On the second day of dives we also saw a pregnant seahorse and some stonefish (danger, danger!). It was a great experience and now I can use these skills to see many other great diving sites around the world.
The Caribbean here doesn't have many of the larger predators, those can be found in the Pacific. I can't wait!

The day that I certified, I raced to the neighbouring town Santa Marta and got a bus up to the Tayrona and spent a night in the national park. The main draw is the beaches, and they don't disappoint! The beach that I got to was La Piscina (the swimming pool), where a coral reef further out takes the brunt of the breaking waves and leaves calmer waters within. I slept surprisingly well in a hammock and ate a delicious fish dish wrapped in banana leaves.

Today I am in Barranquilla only to take a flight out of South America, to Panama City where I will spend just under a week exploring. Bon voyage.
Fabulous fish dish
Fabulous fish dish
Beach in Tayrona national park
Beach in Tayrona national park
La Piscina, the beach protected by…
La Piscina, the beach protected b…
photo by: will62