Santiago & Pucon, Hellos and Goodbyes.

Pucon Travel Blog

After the carnage of the fancy dress, our next stop was Santiago.  The half way point of the trip and also where we said good bye to eight of the group and picked up nine new travellers.  Before the guys left we had to have one last night out on the town.  Yeap, it was a rough one. I woke the next morning and looked around the dorm room and no body was in their proper bunks.  Every one was just where they´d been carried or crashed.  Kinda funny.
Group has changed a bit now.  No longer all British, we´ve Kiwis, a Dane and a German now, and I´m no longer one of the oldest. Yeay.  But I´ve lost my only other Irish... Séamus come back!!!!

Once we´d sobered up and collected all the new people we headed to Pucon and the Villarica Volcano climb.  Definately one of the best bits of the trip.  4 hour hike up the snow covered slopes of the volcano with stunning views of the surrounding mountains and other volcanos.   Then arrive at the top looking down into the massive crater, smoking and steaming.  You can hear the roar as melting ice breaks off and crashes into the crater.  Later in summer when there´s less snow you can apparently see lava bubbling...  But the best bit of the trek was getting back down.  After the hard slog of climbing up, to get down you just sit on your arse and slide!!!  There´s actual runs like tabogan tracks and you just shoot down on your ass.  You´re supposed to be able to stop yourself with the ice axe but most of the time we were laughing so hard we couldn´t even try. so you just end up crashing straight into the person infront or taking the legs from under anyone in your way.  My ribs were killing me by the end from laughing so much.  Definite must do if you go there....

Pucon