Key Largo and South Beach

Miami Beach Travel Blog

Miami Beach
I planned to visit Biscayne National Park and Key Largo, and take the glass bottom boat tours at both places. Unfortunately, mother nature would not let that happen. But I did not want to believe it, and went ahead anyway, driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Key Largo. I called, and was told the boat tours were cancelled at Biscayne but not at Key Largo.

It started out raining really hard, then it stopped for a while, then rained lightly on and off through the whole drive. I thought (or just hoped) that the weather would get better when I get there. By the time I entered the Florida Keys, that was when it rained very hard, non-stop. Driving in that stretch of road, with water on both sides, and the fact that I'm in Florida during hurricane season, made me very nervous, and I had to take deep breaths to stay calm.
beach
I also drove very slow as well.

I made it to Key Largo and got to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, but learned there, that the boat tours were cancelled. So I lingered around the town for a bit, which was basically a touristy town and not much else to see. I did get to try a key lime pie, which was good. Granted, it was already packaged and sold at a gas station, but I wanted to try it out. And getting the idea from Michael (moon_over_michael), I even took a picture of it, even though it just looks like any other piece of pie.

So I headed back, out of the Keys, through the nasty storm, and drove all the way back to Miami, then to Miami Beach. I arrived into South Beach, and checked out a couple hostels, but both of them were booked.
South Beach
I guess there is no off-season in South Beach, even though summer is considered off-season in the state of Florida. I used the computer at one of them, and found out that another hostel had some room left.

So I drove up there, around 12 blocks away, and got to The Tropics hostel. Just walking inside, was a huge relief, since it was air-conditioned. And there was room indeed. So I decided to stay one night there. As it turned out, it worked out, since the other 2 hostels I checked out, did not seem to have air-conditioning. I was sweating when in the lobbies of those places.

After getting settled there, I took a walk to the beach, and just enjoyed the view of the ocean and the oceanfront itself. I'm not much of a beach person, and I hate getting sand in my shoes. But the ocean breeze was nice.

Afterwards, I walked along Ocean Drive in South Beach, looking at the architecture of the place, and just around in general. Good place to stroll, and just people-watch. I'm not a party-person, so I couldn't tell you how the nightclubs are. I returned to the hostel, then got ready for the upcoming ballgame.
Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie
beach
huge ship (assuming navy boat)
huge ship (assuming navy boat)
lifeguard building