Go Home Mets!

Miami Gardens Travel Blog

Dolphin Stadium

The trip to South Florida has arrived, which was planned to the last minute. I planned to visit Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Biscayne National Park, and Key Largo. I would save Key West for another time.

The plane ride to Ft. Lauderdale took longer than expected, since the runway at Philly International Airport was congested, with all those planes lined up for takeoff. It would take an hour before finally in the air. I would have to share a row with a mother holding her baby. Luckily for me, the baby stayed asleep the entire time.

I arrived in South Florida, and the minute I stepped outside, I could feel the oppressive humidity. A bit of a contrast to the weather back home, where it was nice and breezy for the most part, and no humidity.

Dolphin Stadium
But I knew this, coming into this trip, being that this is the off-season in this region.

I picked up a rental car at ACE, which was some company I never heard of. I had to take 2 shuttles to get there. Once with the car, I drove to the hostel, following directions from MapQuest. I would pass by strip malls and a bunch of hotels, then go towards the beachfront, where the Deauville Hostel was located.

I checked in, and had to leave a deposit. I got the key and went to the room that I would stay at, which would be for 2 nights, not consecutively. The room was kind of dark, and a bit stuffy. The AC was on, but it sounded like it was about to die completely. The bathroom was even more stuffy, and I saw a dead roach on the floor. No way in hell, am I going to clean that up!

Since it was around 5 PM, there was not much to do.
Dwayne Wade throwing the 1st pitch
The museums have already closed. I ate some lunch that my mother packed for me. It saved me some money from buying. After that, I drove along Route A1A, which took me to a beach and a view of the Atlantic Ocean. I would continue, then hopped onto I-95. I drove all the way to Miami, and drove around for a while. I did get lost and had to deal with congestion, which was at a crawl.

I was heading to the baseball game, and did not realize that the stadium was so far away, from the city center. This would be the first time I would be driving to a game, as it was in a residential neighborhood, with no public transportation access. I had to pay $10 for parking, and parked on the grass. Then, I came out and saw that some people were tailgating. This would be the second sign that I am at a football stadium, as I would associate the event with football.
names of great Miami Dolphins
The first would be the name itself, Dolphin Stadium, after the football team.

When walking to the entrance, I could see a lot of Mets fans, even more so than Marlins fans. Most of them are transplants from New York, but I'm sure there are some that travel with their team, or roadtrippers like myself. Being a Phillies fan myself, I would have to root for the Marlins.

I entered Dolphin Stadium, and went to my section and seat. The place is so orange, and I'm constantly reminded that I am at a football stadium. I often associate the place with the Miami Dolphins, as I've first known it as Joe Robbie Stadium, and later Pro Player Stadium before its current name. Plus the names of the great Dolphin players are placed all over the stadium, like Dan Marino and Mark Duper, and a mention of the 1972 team, the only team to go undefeated in a single season so far.
me at Marlins game
And the stadium is shaped like one for football.

I would seat very close to the Marlins bullpen, and close to the field. I got a pint of ice cream, which kind of melted quickly. There was a breeze blowing, which provided some relief, but not much. Dwayne Wade of the Miami Heat threw the first pitch in the game. As the game went along, I would hear the infamous "Let's Go Mets" chant, and the Marlins fans would respond with "Go Home Mets", which I thought was interesting.

The Florida Marlins were playing the New York Mets, in a battle for the National League East division. The Mets took a 1-0 lead, before the Marlins scored two after that, and lead 2-1 after 3 innings. That score would stand until Carlos Beltran hit a grand slam in the 9th inning with 2 outs, giving the Mets a 5-2 lead.
baseball field at Dolphin Stadium
The Marlins would score 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th, but fall one run short, and the Mets lose it, 5-4. The first game since my visit to Fenway Park, where the home team has lost. In baseball games that I've attended outside of Philly, the home team is now 7-2.

I left the game, and headed back to the Ft. Lauderdale hostel. My glasses would fog up, whenever I got out of my air-conditioned car and into the humid air. I got back around midnight, and went to sleep in a semi-cool room.

monkeymia79 says:
Congratulations on the blog feature Walter.
Posted on: Mar 07, 2016
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured blog! Well done, Walter! :)
Posted on: Mar 07, 2016
outfield
outfield
how orange???
how orange???
Dolphin Stadium - dugout and batte…
Dolphin Stadium - dugout and batt…
pitching matchup
pitching matchup
Dwayne Wade (of the Miami Heat)
Dwayne Wade (of the Miami Heat)
NL scoreboard
NL scoreboard
AL scoreboard
AL scoreboard
memory of the 1972 undefeated team
memory of the 1972 undefeated team
Miami Gardens Sights & Attractions review
Not a good place for baseball
Dolphin Stadium (as the name indicates) is originally built for football only, and not one of those multi-purpose stadiums. Entering the stadium, ther… read entire review
Miami Gardens