The park, a recollection, and a reconnection (4)

Winnipeg Travel Blog

winding road

(cont'd...) Assiniboine Park, one of two major parks in Winnipeg that I learned to love. Throughout the seasons, it has never ceased to inspire any nature-loving individual. To us, it offered a lot of good memories: a place that had become our cool comfort to unforgiving prairie summer heat; a jolly witness to our many picnics held together with friends; a place of inspiration to my then rigorous morning and afternoon jogs; a place that empathized with me on my rollerblading accident; a silent listener in moments of my occasional unwinding; and more so, as a patient onlooker to me and my wife's frequent winter afternoon stroll.

With my recent visit to the city and upon setting my feet back at the park that we have loved, I relived those past good memories.

conservatory indoor pathway
It seemed that nothing had changed much, the attractiveness still lingers on. All the winding and branching pathways still looked the same; the orderly lined elm trees queuing at the main entrance road as if so willing to offer their shades to visitors; and even the wide expanse lawn boasting its manicured grass for anyone to sit and lay on, they have been there all along, waiting like a loyal and trusted friend.

Within the park, a variety of interesting spots are available for anyone to explore. The Pavilion, The Leo Mol Sculpture Centre, The Assiniboine Zoo, a duck pond, and The English Garden are some of them. Even a simple driving around the park and watching people we passed by were a treat.

entrance to English Garden
Our visit to the park was coincided with the post thawing of stubborn winter snow, laid long enough on the ground from previous months. Therefore, the upbeat feeling in the air was understood during this Spring time. Although the air had a trail of coldness to it, we parked and decided to get out of the car to have a walk.

At the height of summer, the English Garden showcases a full display of various horticulture geniuses. From specialised plants to shrubs, the landscape can transform the place to a spectacular garden of colours. We did not proceed entering the garden though, as the place wasn't at all ready for visitors; there was nothing but bare ground at that time. The entrance where we had the lone shot of a boy and his boot, I thought was perfect!

It was a completely different story when we reached the conservatory.

duck pond
The moment someone enters the place, he could be transported to a surreal tropical environment; in a dead winter day, one can get away with his winter blues by simply getting in here. The aesthetic arrangement of tropical flora was impressively natural, like those that could be found in a tropical forest: towering trees, intertwining vines running up and around tree trunks, orchids hanging in the air, broad-leaf shrubs, wild ferns, even banana trees! The cricket sound enhanced the tropic-like atmosphere. The other wing of the conservatory was also filled with, I think, less impressive arrangement, but that did not stop us capturing the area.

The duck pond situated across the English Garden was also a sell-out, although there's nothing extra ordinary about it. With an ellipse-shaped perimeter that borders the pond and a couple of modest fountain at the centre, the pond and its resident wild ducks/loons simply represent tranquility one could only find in nature; it was such a relaxing scene.

At around twilight, we drove back to the hotel visually satisfied and mentally relaxed because of our visit from the park. TO BE CONTINUED.

inside the conservatory