Baseball is cool!

Seattle Travel Blog

Safeco stadium!
The drive to Seattle was uneventful save for Karin and I getting on each others' nerves a little bit. It was the lack of sleep, the hunger from not eating since the afternoon before, and the rushed exit from the hotel. Some frustration over whether or not the US was harder to get into or Canada. You'd think it was the US right with all our crazy laws?? And then some more arguments about the different grades of gas making an actual difference. I want to pull my hair out just thinking about this, but honestly I only have an opinion, no definitive answer!

We got a little lost finding our hotel in Seattle so Shane suggested I be dropped off next to the Husky's stadium (University of Washington football) since we were stuck at a traffic light around the corner.
FB, Karin and I got off and were having a nice goodbye smoke together when a bus came and started blaring its horn at us. We were in the bus lane but the busdriver was unnecessarily rude. So they put out their cigarettes, hugged me one last time and hopped in the van and took off.

No more than 5 minutes later, Shane pulls up with Maresa and Henk (semi-active on TB) and we head off to see the Troll Under the Bridge before heading to Safeco Stadium to see the Mariners play the Yankees! WOW! How exciting, I love seeing NY teams obviously! They're the only teams I know the names of! Jets, Giants, Mets, Yankees and I forget our hockey team but they wear red, white and blue and when they won the Stanley Cup my high school basicaly shut down and joined the parade. =)

The troll was pretty cool and Maresa and Henk climbed it while I took pictures from below.
Maresa, Henk and Shane!
Safeco stadium was AWESOME though!  I've been to Dodger Stadium and it's a piece of crap compared to Safeco. The arena is HUGE, and there's plenty of space to walk around and a ton of different foods. We sat in a special area for season ticket holders so we had a waiter and a menu and they would deliver it to us while we enjoyed the game. And WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

I saw a home run, a rundown (for those of you who don't know what that is my crappy explanation is - it is when two players are on adjacent bases and another one hits the ball and runs so you expect bases to be loaded. But for whatever reason there are 3 players who are trying to occupy 2 bases and so one of them is out even if they didn't do anything wrong), and the pitcher splinter the bat into 3 pieces - all in ONE GAME! How exciting!! The crowd around us was particularly nice and very interested in Maresa and Henk.
visitors from the Netherlands! =)
The Japanese couple behind us gave them a bag of Cracker Jacks for the seventh inning and shared their headset with us so that we could listen to the game announcements and play-by-play WHILE watching the game right in front of us! It was AWESOME! I never knew baseball could be so much fun! According to Shane the Mariners are a high scoring team so that kept the fun level UP. But it was particularly amusing to see the crowd boo one of the Yankees that was a former Mariner. Heheee! =)

We left at the 8th inning in order to miss the exiting crowd and because I had to go to the airport =( We dropped off Maresa and Henk and then Shane drove me to the airport and waited for me all the way until security! I can't begin to describe how sweet and accomodating Shane is - really a true gentleman who is thoughtful and fun and can talk and talk and talk.
=) I realy look forward to seeing him again - hopefully for longer than 4 hours! Thanks Shane - for everything! I owe you lunch for the ride!

I left Seattle in a similar way that I left Vancouver. Did some seriously cool stuff here like enjoying a great Mariner's game and got to see players I've actually heard of like Ichiro and Jeter, but I didn't get to do any of the stuff I had planned, like eating oysters on the water, running through Seattle's windy streets with a mini-scarf trailing behind me and maybe seeing a cool show at a grimy cafe. But getting to meet Shane, Maresa and Henk was seriously awesome. More fulfilling than sitting around eating raw stuff. As I get older, I guess I'm learning to appreciate people a lot more. And I really appreciated spending a few hours with these three wonderful people. =)
Seattle