Homeward Bound

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Green parking

Well I’m now I’m home, ultimately a painless journey, but it’s less than one mile from Chigwell rail station and The Three Jolly Wheelers pub, where my car was parked and thanks to a bus driver who doesn’t know his route i took nearly two hours .......... don’t ask! I’m undergoing therapy for it now and in this case the advice is that it’s best to bottle it up!

I did however have a great trip to Iceland, it was everything I had expected and more, awesome scenery, some culture, great food, some new friends and places to share a drink and a few laughs with them.

What had I learnt for next time I visit, to decide what it is I want to see most, and either visit in Summer or wait until late Autumn with a chance to see the Aurora Borealis. This was the only slight disappointment about the trip, that I hadn’t been able to see that great free show in the sky.

Hindsight being a wonderful thing I would probably take my driving licence next time and hire a car, or better still take my own car and travel by ferry from Scrabster via the Faro Islands. The bus pass is probably a good option if you arrive with enough time to use it, but then there is the lack of flexibility in having to take the bus route and stop only at scheduled stops or when the driver feels like a coffee, or loo break.

I will definately split the trip a little more fairly between Reykjavik and probably Akureyri too, as it was a really cool little city and there was so much more to see in the North that I didn’t get chance to in my short stopover up there this time.

Absolute essentials for a trip to Iceland include, not in any particular order; plenty of spending money, a quality waterproof jacket, swimwear, some good footwear, a good camera, a reliable guidebook and a flexible ‘give it a go’ attitude. If you have all theswe things, I can almost garuantee a fantastic experience and a very worthwhile visit.

Hopefully I will meet you on a glacier or whale watching boat out there soon!

Biglush_23 says:
one more feather in the hat ^^ ill be out there searching for mine...
Posted on: Sep 16, 2008
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
I know what you mean, but it is a great place to visit and I loved it too!
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
cmgervais says:
When I went to Iceland I rented a car and circled the whole thing in about 8 days. It was early September and just over freezing temp the whole time. It rained sideways a lot, because of the strong winds. Oh, the misery. (But I loved it!)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
Getting it dried out
Getting it dried out
Just hope they have spare fuses!
Just hope they have spare fuses!
Keflavik International Airport