Oporto a place full of local color.
Oporto Travel Blog› entry 1 of 2 › view all entries
Facing the big lodges of port wine to which it gave its name across the river Douro, Porto is Portugal´s second largest city and there is a certain feeling of rivalry towards Lisbon. But although its ancient roots have been preserved with pride, a modern and lively commerce makes it a thriving city and its traditional importance as an industrial center does not diminish the charm and character of its old quarters or even of the newer and busy avenues, shopping centers and quiet residential blocks.
The Cathedral area deserves to be explored, with its various monuments, such as the Renaissance church of Santa Clara, and the densely populated quarter of Barredo, which appears not to have changed since medieval times. The riverside quarter of Ribeira is also delightful, with narrow streets, typical houses and picturesque life-style: it has been recently restored and now includes fashionable restaurants and bars.
Porto affords many other attractions, monuments and museums, as well as a cultural agenda which has been steadily improving. With a well-known gastronomy and hospitable population, it is also the starting point to explore the river Douro in an unforgettable journey upstream.
| Cathedral Built in the 12th century, in the Roman style, it was later modified for several times and the original architecture was altered.|
Clergymen Church and Tower A monument of the Baroque style, built between 1754 and 1763 by the Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni, Torre dos Clérigos became the emblem of Oporto. From the top of the Tower, six floors and 76 metres high, after climbing an endless spiral staircase with 225 stairs, the visitor enjoys dazzling views over the city, the river Douro and its estuary.
Carmo Church Situated close to the Clergymen Tower and Church (Igreja e Torre dos Clérigos), the Igreja do Carmo é remarkable construction, presenting an amazing panel of tiles on an exterior wall, representing scenes describing the foundation of the Carmelite Order.
|portal was built in the following century and had baroque characteristics. In the 17th and 18th centuries the interior of the church was completely covered with wood carvings, forming a sort of golden box. It is one of the most beautiful baroque interiors in the country. Although the wood carvings do not present a stylistic coherence, their great quality, which was the fruit of the best workshops in Porto, makes up a selection that enables the observation of its evolution. It is a true museum of gilt wood carving in the city.|
|the city of Porto a Museu de Pinturas e Estampas (Paintings and Prints Museum). The aim of the foundation of this Museum was the preservation of the artistic heritage that came mainly from extinct convents, and the simultaneous promotion of its use for cultural and pedagogical purposes. The Museum has been settled since 1940 in the Palacio dos Carrancas, currently considered a public interest property, and it was built in the late 18th century, by a wealthy family of Porto.|
Misericordia museum The treasure of the Museum includes the Benefactor's Gallery and the "Fons Vitae" - a Flemish painting from the Brussels workshop (1520).
Porto, the country´s second largest city, is in itself full of interest, but the district it heads, though largely industrialized, offers the visitor plenty to see.
|Vila Nova de Gaia, the lodges where Port wine is blended and aged and where you can taste the different varieties, or you may choose to take a river cruise along the Douro. The whole district is filled with prosperous towns, as commerce and industry thrive there, but you can drive along many calm roads with wonderful views over the river or enjoy a rugged and still unspoilt coastline.|
|Places Of Interest|
|emblazoned with well-known names, and over fifty companies based in narrow and twisting streets are engaged in blending and ageing the famous drink.|
| Oporto Golf Club This course is located 17 kilometers to the south of Oporto beside the beautiful beaches of Espinho. It is, after Pan, in France, the second oldest course in Continental Europe. It was established in 1890, when British residents in Porto created the club.|
Miramar One of the oldest Portuguese golf courses and one of the most traditional in the country. When the course was inaugurated in 1932, Frank Gordon and Arthur Mariani were jointly responsible for the design, a nine hole course for Par 34 over 2.579 meters.
Amarante Located in the estate of Quinta da Deveza and is set on a delightful landscape - with the towns of Amarante and Marco de Canaveses, as well as the mountains of Marão and Aboboreira, in the background. It is a narrow, winding hilly course, calling for great accuracy, particularly at the bunkers protecting the greens and at the lakes that are brought into play at holes number 3, 8, 12 and 17.
Oporto es una ciudad portuguesa situada en la región norte por razones de carácter geográfico e histórico.