Dubai

Dubai Travel Blog

I traveled to Dubai with my girlfriend in Dec 2006 (now my ex).  Another awesome place I can check off my list of places to visit. Arab culture with a touch of western influence, Dubai is a fantastic place to visit.

You can see how much they invested in this country as soon as you enter the airport. Its huge, and people from all over the world are passing through, if not stopping here.  Expensive jewellery shops, Lexus show cars, and high end electronics.

The hotel was walking distance from the creek. This area is mostly small shops, restaurants and bazars. Wondering around the bazars and markets you will notice that the majority of the population are foreigners.

Took a ride on a small boat from one end of the creek to the other, along with other visitors and local on their way to work. As you move away from the creek, you see malls, tall buildings, some still under construction and a lot of expensive cars. Traveling within the city can be a bit of a mission. Cabs are hard to find and they always seem to be in a hurry. The demand that you get out as soon as they stop.
The tour bus is a great way of getting around the city and sight seeing. They stop at various locations, within the city. So you can get off and shop or walk around then wait for the next bus, beats waiting for a taxi.

Reserve an entire day for the desert safari, you wont regret it. Most hotels will have information on this, its approx $60 per person and its worth it.
The malls are not that different from the ones in the U.S and Canada. Except for the one with the indoor ski slope !!!. I heard of it and finally go to see it, really kool.
Visited one of the many museums, watched a movie in a near by theater, and even shopped for chocolates and cheese at the local super market (carrefour).
So much to see an so little time. I didn't get to visit the palm islands. Wish I had stayed longer, a week was not enough. I'm so glad I visited and will definitely visit again.