por fin (finally) internet!!!!!!!

Llanes Travel Blog

My trip to northern spain has been full of the best and worst times for me. No hay internet en norte españa in 99% of albergues. No hay. This is the first day found internet cafe open when I could go out (three weeks without internet... Traveling to Irun  first day went according to plan. Made it to albergue and met my friend Katja from Germany. Next day walking from Irun to San Sebastian. Incredible heat... 36 degrees celcius. Lost in mountains on an expert trail. Exhausted but made it to San Sebestian, beautiful city and beach. Second day used a life... Got lost along coast on expert trail this time and no signs of humanity for three hours of scaling cliffs wearing a backpack to heavy, and  no official trail. Amazing amazing views but after three hours and late afternoon got kinda worried. Saw a transmitter tower and decided to go for it. Scaled cliff and clinging to metal wires used by rock climbers we made it to the top.  I figured a road had to be near by. Another hour finally civilazation... and there was the camino. Crazy. Nothing is marked here. You definitely need to be able to speak Spanish, at least to ask directions. Next day big fight with Katja. I am in much better shape and go much faster than her. Difficult for me to keep her pace. Next three days rain and traveling through mountains. Traveling relationship detoirating with Katja. Final straw was she has chinchas and had to go to doctor. She leaves me alone on Camino Norte and goes to Camino Frances which we did last year. I am alone now. But I have met a group of 8 spanish people. Rare for so many spanish to be on the camino, usually more foreigners. I love it. I now only speak and hear Spanish. Total immersion. Katja, I think made a mistake. After she left the camino got much easier. Now long walks on beach miles and miles on walking along the best beaches, reminds me of California coastal towns. Weather becomes better 25 degrees celcius. Amazing, Amazing. Then I acquire chinchas.....again.  Oh yeah I have also fallen down a hill and scraped my face, hands and knees, and sprained my ankle. This time my body does react well to bites. By third day my skin has become red, swollen and insect bites raised and painful. Farmacia. Given claritin. 2 tablets do not help. Next day I am worried more swelling and incontrollable itching. Back to farmacia. They are worried. Off to ER in Spain. 5 hours in ER, shots of anitbiotics,steroids,antiinflamitories and something else. Spanish was to fast. Thank God had Sergio (spaniard) to help me translate. I am better now enjoying the beautiful beaches and scenery. Have entered the state of Asturias. Can´t complete now the camino but plan on making it at least to gijon or oviedo.  Write more later.
photo by: asturjimmy