Coral transplant in Sanghyang island

Sanghyang Island Travel Blog

Phie & me

Can you imagine if there’s nothing to see below the water, only sand and garbage?! Me as a diver never want to see that! It’s a nightmare! That’s why I’m joining Planet Diving to have this coral transplant in Sanghyang Island, Banten. With hope to have a more beautiful underwater life, it all begins with the conservation of coral.

So, what is coral transplant? Basically it’s one of soo many ways to preserve our nature, by transplanting one species of hard coral so that coral could grow and become the home and food source for other sea species.

How did the implementation?

We’re using two boats. First boat carried the iron bed/frame that already prepared from Jakarta.

Alice in action
And as we arrived on the dive spot (The Tanjung Bajo spot), the boys on the first boat will take the iron bed down and find the right spot for its to be placed still. Then all the diver on the second boat will go down and collecting the hard coral for us to transplant. We’re using the Staghorn (Acropora) hard coral to be transplant because this kind of coral has the fastest growth. It only took 3 months for its to grow 1 cm.

And on the second dive, together we start transplanting the staghorn by tied it up in the bed/frame

What’s in it for me?

Getting new experience and knowledge about the coral transplant, take a part on saving the world, making new friends, and putting my name forever in the placard that placed on the bed. So if someday I come back to Sanghyang, I could search the placard and see my name on it, underwater!:D

And about Sanghyang itself, Sanghyang is an Island in west of Jakarta. From Jakarta, it took around 3 hours drive. Drive yourself to Labuan Bajo piers then you could take a boat to Sanghyang island. And the character of its underwater life, basically Sanghyang has lots of coral, hard and soft. Not a lot variety of fish, but still you could enjoy its corals

inirr says:
Mbak yanti...makasi mbak buat komennya:)
Ngga perlu jiper kok, klo kita tau, ngerti dan mau pelajarin diving, dijamin jadi ketagihan lho:D
Dulu aku juga takut banget sama laut, sampe akhirnya nyobain dan ngerasain sendiri...ternyata very relaxing. Malah jadi obat buat ngusir stress dan rasa lelah:)
Posted on: Sep 08, 2008
YantiSoeparno says:
Riniiii.... pa kabar?
Gimana caranya ya supaya bisa menyelam? Trus terang aja ngeliat foto2 di sini, ngiri skaligus jiper... he he he....
Salut.... untuk blog dan foto2nya :D
The participants
The participants
Bed form of car
'Bed' form of car
Theres a car on the boat!
There's a car on the boat!
Just put it up there
My 1st coral transplant
My 1st coral transplant
Me with the placard
Me with the placard
Theres my name there! Dwi Saptari…
There's my name there! Dwi Saptar…
Roni the dive guide