First weekend in Seoul....

Seoul Travel Blog

Touchdown in Seoul

So we showed up on the 22nd, my friend Kenny and I. Flew all the way from the states and boy were our arms tired. No but cheesy jokes aside, 13 hours on a plane is enough to try the Dahli Lamma's patience. So we get here, get our luggage, relativley painless. We snag a bus and take it to the hotel where we'll be staying for the weekend before we head down to Pyountaek city.

Once at the hotel, we're shocked with the decor, I feel like I've taken a trip in a time machine and I'm stuck somewhere between 1975 and 1990. The design is well.... unique, we get a double room and when we put our luggage up we're suprised to see, two ornately carved beds, and matching vanity. The furnature is reminicent of a 1970's honeymoon suite, they must have gotten Kenny and I all wrong whene we walked up to the desk or somthing.

The retro bed
... Anyways, being as that I' married an Kenny has a girlfriend, we were secure and thus continued on our way.

We had no idea where to go or what to do so we did what any globe trotter does and simply started walking. We went up and down alleys before spotting a reseraunt. We were both famished and decided to get some grub. Thankfully grub is exactly what we got, we are both fluent in korean but sometimes there are still words that catch us off guard, apparently the korea word for "snails" is one of those words. At first we weren't sure what it was so we ordered it, when it came out we realized we had just ordered snails in hot pepper paste. My experience has taught me that you must try somthing at least once, and boy am I glad I did, they were great! After the snails and some OB's we were on our way.

The palace

We stummbled on to a rock concert that was going on in the streets, it was awesome, the music was so intense and raw. We continued on our way and ended up lost many times before eventually ending up back at the hotel.

The next morning we decided to head out on the subway and find the Blue Tile House, this is a kin to our white house in the states, it's the presidential residence. After asking about half a million people how to get there we were just about done. That's when we stumbled onto Kyoung Bok Koong. A beautiful palace that for centuries was home to the royalty of Korea. The place was great, we paid our 3,500 won and went in. The palace was simply breath taking.

After the palace Kenny called up one of his Korean contacts (I swear that guy knows people everywhere) and we were off.

Excited sat Kyoung Bok Goong
We didn't really know what we wanted to do so we went to the 63 story building, Korea's largest building. We proceeded to the observation deck and boy was the view breath taking, you could see a sea of light as far as the horizon, I belive only here can someone truly appreciate the size of Seoul.

In front of the 63 story building is the Han river, so we decided to take a stroll. We walked and talked to Kenny's contact, a man named Baek. Baek had studied in Canada for most of highschool and spoke pretty good english, he told us about korean culture, especially about the compulsary military service sytem they have. His time was almost done, he said, so he was happy.

Lam San Tower
After our walk we decided to go buy fireworks and light them off, to celebrate our safe arrival. We continued to talk and it turns out that Baek and Kenny are related through marrage, not to eachother, but of one distant cousin to a sister or somthing along those lines. After our talk Baek drove us back to the hotel were we proceeded to crash, jet lag was still heavy on us.

The next mornig we met up with Baek and headed out to the Yo Wee Do christan church. Reputed to be one of the largest churches in the world it was stunning in size. You're talking 10 stories, underground parking, it was awesome. After the service we visted Lam San Tower which is a tower over looking Seoul, we took the bus up, and Beak continued to educate us on local transportation, he told us about traffic cards which are little creidt card like things that you scan as you get on the bus.

63 Story Building
Like a giftcard you charge them up with money and then use them untill they run out. So convienent!

Apon arrival to the tower we took the llift to the top. Again I was amazed at Seoul's beauty. We joked and talked for awhile. I baught my wife a "Save the Green" button from the gift shop. I'm not quite sure what "Save the Green" is but I'm sure she'll appreciate it just the same.

After the tower we hiked downth mountain and jumped in Baek's car. He informed us that we would be meeting his parents in Kang Nam, the Beverly Hills of Seoul, for dinner. Needless to say I was greatfull for Kenny's magnetic personality. Dinner was delicious and Baek's parents were great, we talked about korean culture, customs and our time in language school.

From the hotel
In true Koean fashion they invited us to their house following dinner for some fruit dessert. The fruit was amazing as was the conversation, apparently Baek's dad had made the trip with a few South Korean so Keum San, a mountain in North Korea, that was open as a test oh North Korean tourism that ultimatley flopped. I was suprised to hear this, not many had been able to take that trip, also I was jealous.

After dessert and a couple of photos, Kenny and I headed for the subway. We headed to Pyoungtaek the following morning and arrived early in the afternoon. Needless to say this was not a shabby first impression of this place that I will call home for the next couple years.

From the hotel again