Lamosangu village

Kathmandu Travel Blog

I'm afraid this blog is going to be rather brief. I have an extremely bad memory - hence all the scrapbooks! Although, after re-reading some scrapbooks, these trips seem like they were just yesterday - anyway, unfortunately I didn't get around to making a scrapbook for this trip. So, this won't be long!

Lamosangu village is a little less than three hours northeast of Nepal. Getting there was a hair-raising bus ride in a little, rickety bus that really pushed the limits! The road to Lamosangu is winding and covered in gravel. The bus drives at the very edge of a road that drops off all too steeply into the river way below, and rocks literally fall from the path as we drive over them!

This trip was part of a course I did called the International Baccalaureate (or just IB to most people).

Called Project Week, it isn't really a week long, more like four days or so but the idea is you have a budget and you go to a place where you engage in some kind of global concern. The global concerns group I was a part of at school was the Himalayan Global Concern, which, incidentally I only joined after actually going to Nepal in 2000 when I saw with my own eyes how much help these people need.

So, we'd organised to visit the Lamosangu school. We brought pens, books, educational posters and all that thing, and for the first few days we did try to 'teach' them although we really had no training. We found out that these kids are incredibly smart. Their maths is amazing and they are so interested in learning. We taught them some English which was interesting as they spoke maybe three words of English and we spoke maybe one word of Nepalese.

We knew more but our accents just got in the way and the classes ended up in laughing fits!

In any case they seemed more interested in where we'd come from and in what ways that we were different to them and the ways that they were similar to us. They loved the posters we brought the most, and our guide books! Their eyes really popped when they got to see 'Sagarmatha' - the Nepalese word for Mt. Everest - in a photograph in my guide book!

One of the girls spoke excellent English and followed us around the entire time we were there. I don't think anyone could have asked more questions but it was lovely to meet someone so inquisitive.

This trip was doubly satisfying for me because I'd filmed a school event with a friend of mine, and we ended up selling the vcd's - I don't think dvd's could be burnt at home yet! - of the show.

this girl spoke excellent english... the shorter girl is her sister
We made, well I can't remember exactly but I think it was in excess of $1000 and we ended up donating all the proceeds to David Allardice, the founder of a place called 'The Last Resort' in Nepal, he organises a lot of projects in Nepal that are aimed at protecting Nepal's environment and giving back to the people who live there. Part of that money went towards a new building for Lamosangu school. We did move a few bricks around for one of the days we were there, but that's about all we did for the building!

newtampo says:
Nice, and nice photos :)
Posted on: May 05, 2007
this girl spoke excellent english.…
this girl spoke excellent english…
Kathmandu