Day 7: From Bratislava to Budapest

Budapest Travel Blog

Bratislava Train Station

We had breakfast at Coffee & Co in Bratislava and because their Panini smelled and looked so good, got some for the train ride.

Bus 93 took us to the train station where we tried to figure out what platform we had to be on and from which way the train would enter the station, as we had reserved seats in the very last carriage. We strategically positioned ourselves in the very center of the platform and then waited. As soon as we saw the train drive into the station, we (and several other people who apparently had had the same idea) set off in a mad dash to the end of the train and got on board.

The train ride itself was nice and only took 2 hours and 45 minutes. We rode through fields of sunflowers and made only a few stops. After we had entered Hungary, we drove along the Danube for quite some time.

On the train from Bratislava to Budapest
It was a very enjoyable trip, with beautiful views.

The train pulled in to Keleti Pu and as soon as we got off the train, we were assaulted by cab drivers, money exchangers and people offering us rooms. We kindly, but firmly turned them down... ok, so we ignored them, and changed our money at an official place.

Because of construction work, we had a bit of trouble finding the subway, but buying tickets was no problem. We both bought a 7-day pass, which was the most convenient option. As soon as we went down into the subway, we had to show our ticket. This would happen over and over again. 90% of the times that we took the subway, and we took it a lot, there would be inspectors, checking the tickets. It actually got a bit rediculous.

We took line 2 to Deak Ter and then switched to the blue line 3 to Dosza Gyorgy Ut, where we ran into a bit of trouble.

Keleti Pu

Isabelle got off the train and as I made my way to the door, it was suddenly blocked by an elderly lady with a cardboard box the size of a small elephant, who also seemed to want to get off the train. So, being courteous, I let her. But then she changed her mind, blocked the doorway and another lady, also the size of a small elephant got on, got stuck between the doors that suddenly slammed shut, was pried out of the doors' deadly grip and then the train took off again, with me still on board and Isabelle standing on the platform.

Cursing like a sailor, I got out of the train at the next stop, found the exit, had to show my ticket, wondered how the Hell I was to get to the other side of the tracks, found it, had to show my ticket again, got on the next train and got off again at the right stop.

Budapest Sunset

I spotted my girlfriend on the other side of the tracks, motioned to the stairs, had to show my ticket and then we were reunited again. After the quiet lay-back atmosphere of Bratislava, Budapest came as quite a shock.

We checked in to the hotel and decided to get something to eat and buy groceries.

We took the subway to the main train station, only a few stops south and went into the adjacent West End Shopping Center, which had everything you could possibly need and everything you probably didn't need. We also had dinner at the food court, which wasn't a very good idea, as I got quite sick afterwards.

So we retreated to the hotel for a rest, and then, when I felt better, we went down to the bar for a nice cup of tea.

Bratislava Train Station
On the train from Bratislava to Bu…
On the train from Bratislava to B…
Sturovo
Sturovo
Vac
Vac
Budapest Hotels & Accommodations review
A great hotel in Budapest
This hotel, on the busy corner of Dósza György út and Váci út is easily reachable by subway. It is right next to the Dósza György út station o… read entire review
Budapest