Temples of Thamel

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Monkey Temple
We spent today sightseeing.

Monkey Temple was aptly named, because there were scores of monkeys jumping around the temple terrorising tourists. The temple is on a hill, and there were a fair number of steps to climb until we reached the top, but it was well worth the climb. The temple stupa was adorned with prayer flags, prayer wheels and Buddha eyes; all of which, to me, were iconic symbols of Nepal.

Freak Street was where hippies used to hang out, I was told. Close by was Durbar Square, where there are thousands of trinkets for sale. And around the corner from Durbar Square, there was another temple. Thamel was a popular spot with the tourists, so there were plenty of rickshaws around, and there was lots of hiking gear for sale.

And that was the end of my trip. Here's is a corny excerpt from my scrapbook that sums up the trip:

"Nepal was, in every way, far beyond my expectations, with its towering peaks, endless rows of trinket stores, and miles and miles of brilliant blue sky.
Monkey Temple

Wandering through Kathmandu was an experience. At 6.30 in the morning the city awakened and endless parades of people in cars blasting their horns, people bustling around on foot, and people in rickshaws toured the mazes of the inner city.

I forgot to hide my eyes under my reflective sunglasses (that I bought after bargaining them down 200 rupees, just under US$3), and I paid the price for doing so, by being swamped constantly by five different Nepali store owners, all competing to sell the same circular wooden chess set: "Only three hundred rupees, ah".

Circular wooden chess sets weren't the only thing for sale in Kathmandu. Playfully coloured lanterns and artfully designed pashmina shawls garnished the narrow streets, shiny bowls of silver jewellery caught the sunlight, and dozens of handmade necklaces covered the stall walls.
A prayer wheel from Durbar Square

But Kathmandu was only the beginning; there was so much more to see in Nepal. Like hiking in the Annapurna region for instance, surrounded by snow-capped peaks. I felt the heat of the sun's iron hand, hot on the back of my neck as we descended millions upon millions of stone steps that weaved through the hillsides. And it was the end of the monsoon season, so it was the perfect time of year for a few exhilarating days of white water rafting.

All in all, it was 10 awesome days of wandering across mountains and floating down holy rivers, and it was an experience difficult for anyone to forget."
Kathmandu