First day in Bozeman

Bozeman Travel Blog

PBR

My best friend (Jersey) moved to Bozeman in the fall of 2006...we'd both graduated college in April, and spent the summer lifeguarding and teaching sailing (respectively).  When fall came around, Jersey decided that she needed to get out and stretch her legs...away from Chicago.  She headed off to Montana to work at a mountain and learn to ski.  She called Bozeman "Boysman" and Montana "Mantana" because of all the cute boys that lived there...manly guys who worked at the mountain, went hiking, knew how to build things, and wore flannel and had scruff.  I decided I'd have to go check out this phenomenon...I was sick of city boys.  So, after I finally got a job and had saved up some cash, I went to visit her.

Montana

I arrived at an airport about 3 hours away from her house...she'd driven all the way there in a borrowed car just to greet me. She brought some PBR as a "Welcome to Montana" treat, and we headed off to Bozeman.  I'd never been to Montana, so I was fascinated by the wide open spaces...Even though we have plenty of space in Illinois, it's mostly cornfields, which aren't much fun...nor are they very interesting to look at after you've seen 1 million of them.  In Montana there were mountains, and dusty fields, and buffalo!  I'd never seen a buffalo before.  Jersey pointed out the different mountain ranges...how she could tell them appart I'll never know...they all looked exactly the same to me.  When we finally arrived at her house, we dumped my stuff and chilled with some beers.

Me and Jerz
  Her friend Steph, from college (who I'd met a few times before) was also living in Bozeman and came by to chill.  She and Jersey decided to take me out on a tour of the town...and to show me the mountain where they'd spent the winter working.

I marveled at the 70mph speed limit...so different from the 55 we have to drive at home.  Jersey told me stories about hitchhiking to work at the mountain because she didn't have a car.  Steph and Jersey showed me the town...the rooftop bar where we planned to have some good times, the winding road up to the mountain, the deli where Jersey worked to get a little extra cash, the houses where their friends lived.  There was no more snow, and the weather was getting warmer so the mountain wasn't in its full snow-covered glory, but it was still fun to sit on the ski lift and pretend.

Leister and Dan

That night we headed over to "5th and Story", the boys' house.  I assume it was named this because it was on the corner of 5th Street and Story Street...but I'm not sure because I don't remember there being a "Story Street".  We sat on the porch swing, played Beirut (Beer Pong), listened to music, and then decided to make our way to the bars.  School was pretty much out at this point, but there were still some college kids hanging around.  The bar was reasonably packed, but not unbearable, and we had a wild time of it.  There was a special for 2dollar shots, or something else ridiculously cheap...and even if the shots hadn't been on special, you could buy Jaeger bombs for only 3 bucks.  Nice compared to the 7 dollars you pay for them in Chicago!

The night was crazy and fun, and ended in a long walk back to Jersey's house...with stops at dive bars along the way where we saw one of her roommates, Adam, in all his hippie glory.  A great first day and night in Mantana!

Leister and Dan
Dude with a black eye and some liq…
Dude with a black eye and some li…
At the bar, figuring out the bill