TravBuddies and CouchSurfers Collide...the OC Meet Up!
Huntington Beach Travel Blog› entry 2 of 7 › view all entries
Only one "word" can describe this meet up...OMG!!! My stomach is still hurting this morning as I try to recount all the hilarious antics of the night before. Angel (Knead2travel) is hosting a foreign exchange student from Japan and decided to throw a bonfire in her honor. Talk about perfect timing since I was coming down this weekend anyways....YEAH! It also seemed that a number of birthdays fell/fall right around now so another excuse to celebrate!
It was shaping up to be a pretty small and intimate meet up with the girls/guys count almost even. I was bringing my friend Jose and also talked my friend Silvina (silverv) into coming so she could meet the Orange Country crew. Since she lives in the OC - this is the perfect opportunity for her to meet some of my favorite friends and fellow TB'ers like Angel, Warren, and Tiffany!
Jose and I decide to carpool down (thanks Jose for "volunteering" to drive) and we stopped at the grocery store for snacks and some alcohol when I get a call from Angel.
Of course, we were the only two there right away and spread my darling Pooh blanket out and made ourselves comfy waiting for the gang to arrive. Lots of interesting people watching opportunities. Soon Silvina and her friend Jas arrive. Then some of the Couchsurfers arrive who were totally awesome - Sarah, Mike, and Kenny. Next I see Angel, Josh, and Saeko walking up! All that is missing is Warren (ocwarren) and Tiffany (tiffybear24). Soon, another CS arrives, Francisco, who was an absolute riot. Although it seems like hours later, Warren arrives with another Couchsurfer, Markus, and the party is off and running!
Sarah was the smart one and brought premade margaritas with some nice Patron she recently received as a birthday gift.
From there, there was so much going on it would take me hours to blog about everything so here are some of my favorite highlights of our picnic on the beach...and PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE UPLOADED VIDEOS FROM THIS EVENING!! :D
- Kenny (from CS) - showing his tattoo - probably one of the funniest ever
- Mike (from CS) - explaining to the cops that he is unemployed and the money to pay this ticket is essentially coming from their paychecks.
- The dirty things one can do with rum infused fruit and the pictures that prove it
- Angel's leg landing in the container of guacamole somehow and watching Francisco lick it off!! Eewwwww!
- Sending poor Jose off to pour the Absolut in a cup to get it in the cooler, only to still have 5 cops eyes on us so we send Warren off to the car to store it
- Discussing Kenny's evil look about him, especially as he sat there twirling his mustache hairs in a menacing way!
- Kenny getting up from the group and rather than saying "be right back" he says B-R-B! O-M-G..he's a walking text message! LOL
- Sarah, Jose, Kenny, and Mike playing football with a ton of kids.
- Kenny serenading Angel (well, more like rapping)....and YES, video of this as well
- Certain memorable quotes about Jelly and Jellyland. No, Jellyland is not overpriced! It is free and very much worth it!
- Jump shots...OMG. Photographic proof of silliness at its best!
- Huh, wait, how do you pronounce Saeko's name...Psycho?!?! No........!
- Sarah saying watch this as she does a killer punt with the football.
- Mike's humpty dance - no explanation even necessary
- Francisco mentioning his butt is not for free as I come up behind and grab him! LOL Sorry "Free Butt!" :D :D
- Josh trying to teach Warren karate moves
We began to part ways...Silvina and Jas left somewhat early and then Angel was headed out with Saeko and Josh since Saeko was exhausted - she just arrived from Japan earlier in the day! Sarah had talked to her friend who works at Fred's Cantina across the street so we decided to go visit her for a bit. Jose and I had to go drop stuff off at the car, didn't want to show up with our heavy blanket and snacks! More fun ensued in Freds:
- On the way back to Fred's - I saw a dog with a Yamika.
- Jose checking out the girl walking in front of us with her shirt that said "music" across her butt....."What are you doing?" "Uh, I am watching the beat of the music". LOL
- Videos of girls in bikinis with power tools....?!?!
- Francisco feeling unfufilled as ads for bar and food specials would flash across just at the best part of the music videos with scantly clad females!
- Discussing why "Pour Sugar on Me" is a strange idea.......as the bar back pours sugar on one of the bouncers who's dancing with the girls
- Jose and another guy doing the "Cupid Shuffle" - they were totally in sync - it was awesome!
- Warren totally letting loose and shaking his groove thang like I didn't know he could (Fav video of the night!)
Awww, we said our goodbyes and Jose and I headed off to home.
What a fun night! I really enjoyed meeting the Couchsurfing crew and look forward to their arrival on the TravBuddy scene here soon! Also plans to see at least a few of them again this week before I head out to Vegas with Melanie next week! Fun times and thanks again to Angel who hosted a completely awesome meet up!
PLEASE NOTE: Still trying to upload vidoes to You Tube...will update blog with video clips as soon as they are finished!! :D