A Night of Culture with Tracy....Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Fireworks @ the Hollywood Bowl

Hollywood Travel Blog

Hollywood and Highland

Ok, sadly...I grew up in Los Angeles and I've never been to the Hollywood Bowl.  Most people are stunned by this since it's such a popular venue for live music events.  I led a sheltered life...I am sorry!!! LOL.  So when Tracy (Tre69) sent an email asking if I wanted to go see Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with Fireworks Spectacular...I thought this would be a great show to see and a chance to spend more time with  Tracy!!!

We met up at Hollywood and Highland...which again, I've never been to! Apparently Hollywood has changed quite a bit since I used to hang out there as the streets were cleaner and less sketchy people.

Cookie Monster!!! :D
...well, I guess that is up for debate!  Hollywood Blvd now features a number of street performers dressed in costumes or doing skits/performances which was new since I was last there.  We wandered around a bit while we waited for our California Pizza Kitchen take out order to be filled! LOL. I saw lots of interesting folks and then I spotted the one I had to get a pic of!! OMG.... COOKIE MONSTER!!! :D  I had to get a pic for Melanie and Jillian!!!  It was kinda hard to get just him and not the thousand people walking by but I finally managed...whoo hoo!

We headed off with our take out and on the half mile walk to the Bowl which was great...needed that exercise as I brought cupcakes from a new bakery in Torrance for Tracy and I to try!! :D :D :D  The walk wasn't that bad but I was amazed at the number of people inside when we arrived.

Disney's El Capitan Theater!
  We were still fairly early and people definitely picnic at these events.  People were spread out all along walkways, stairs, and the few available tables - enjoying their wine and food.

Tracy and I made our way into the seating and enjoyed our Thai Crunch Salad and our Five Cheese and Tomato pizza from CPK.  Mmmm...both were excellent!  We barely finished and it was about show time...perfect!!!

Although we were fairly high up as far as the seating goes, the view was spectacular and you could hear everything fine!  It was a beautiful arrangement and I really enjoyed seeing the Los Angeles Philharmonic perform for the first time!  What was even better was the HOTTIE Violonist.  OMG...Tracy and I were both drooling and trying to get pics of him. Whoo Hoo!

I have to say this was probably the best show I could've seen for my first time at the Bowl.  It was beautiful and the ending of the 1812 Overture, they brought out the USC Marching Band and had pyrotechnics and cannons!  I did manage to get quite a bit of video footage of the fireworks and ending but trying to get it uploaded on You Tube will be a chore! I am still trying to get videos uploaded from last Sunday's OC meet up and they keep timing out! LOL.

I can't thank Tracy enough for the invite and what a wonderful time I had!!  I can't wait to come back home to LA and see another show there!!!

TRE69 says:
Erin...I am glad you were able to meetup with me for the show...it would have been pretty lonely sitting up there by myself!
Posted on: Sep 08, 2008
Cookie Monster!!! :D
Disneys El Capitan Theater!
Disney's El Capitan Theater!
The Violinist
The Violinist
Another shot of the Violinist!
Another shot of the Violinist!
Another picture of the performance
Another picture of the performance
Tracy and I with our cupcakes
Tracy and I with our cupcakes
Oh no.....that cupcake is in troub…
Oh no.....that cupcake is in trou…
Close up of the Philharmonic