Perth and the Coral Coast

Perth Travel Blog

The Pinnacles

Flew over in the middle of the night and got there by morning. It is surprisingly far to fly to still end up in the same country! Saw Geelong on the way over and waved at it. Virgin Blue has a funny sense of humour.

This day we drove a crazy distance. I don't know how far it was but we drove from Perth to a small town called Denham which is on the Peron Penninsula in Shark Bay.

On the way we stopped at a random secluded beach, which must have had the whitest sand I have ever stepped on. Stopped to see the Pinnacles. I can't really describe what these are very well; I believe they're made of limestone and they form when the wind blows away the sand that was covering them and the result is these funny-shaped rocks that sort of stick out in the middle of nowhere. They were a bit smaller than I'd imagined, but to make up for it, there were a lot more of them! They were just past a place called Geraldton which is between two and three hours north of Perth by car.

Stopped at a place called Cervantes for lunch. Not much there.

We reached the 'Overlander Roadhouse' at around 6:30pm. My boyfriend did this trip with his parents about a year later and without knowing they ended up stopping at the same petrol station! Must be popular. Or maybe just the only one for ages. Bought a good map of WA (Western Australia) here. It was another two hours or so to Denham from here. Slept in the car in a parking bay.

the car we hired at the airport
the car we hired at the airport
beach somewhere along the Turquois…
beach somewhere along the Turquoi…
the Overlander Roadhouse