The Overland

Adelaide Travel Blog

So, after the longest stretch of straight railroad in the world we settled into Adelaide first thing in the morning. We switched over to the Overland train, which runs from Adelaide to Melbourne. The seats were heaps more comfy for a much shorter trip!

We passed through lots of tunnels, went through Adelaide Hills, then some hilly farm land, then flat farmland, with some really startlingly yellow fields. Then on through Murray Bridge, Bordertown, and Ararat.

Sleeping on the train was really difficult because you can't be horizontal and it often gets cold at about 4 in the morning, so you can't sleep well for much after that. But its worth it, when else can you say you've done 4,300km in a train! Across some of the most inhospitable land! And its quite pleasant, you just kind of sit there with a good book or something and then go eat in the dining cart on a table.

Having a shower on the train was interesting though, I managed to pick the windiest part of the journey so the dripping tap kept missing me and I kept bumping into the walls! But it was all a fun experience and if I remember right they give you a clean towel.

We pulled into Spencer Street in Melbourne at about 9pm.

All in all, WA was an awesome experience, really beautiful especially in wildflower season and what's so awesome is that I feel like we saw so much of it but so little at the same time. We didn't have much time, but we managed to go all the way up to Monkey Mia. It's kind of bittersweet that Exmouth was right there... Ningaloo Reef is apparently something special, and I've heard swimming with whale sharks there is not to be missed! Oh well, there's always next time!

photo by: shirlan