The Nullabor

Cook Travel Blog

The Indian Pacific

As I woke up we were just entering the Nullabor plain; An empty expanse that stretches across the southern flank of Australia, it is a harsh, harsh looking place that I wouldn't like to get stuck in! The heat was searing above the ground. It was like when tarmac gets too hot and you see something like a mirage. Having said that, every time I looked up from my book I managed to see some kind of animal! I saw brumbies (wild horses), camels, cows, eagles, and a dingo by himself. What's really interesting about the nullabor is that apparently underneath all this emptiness there is an underground network of limstone rivers. Interesting!

The first place we stopped at today was a place called Forrest where the train was delivering some supplies and mail. Just after lunch time we stopped in a very lonely place called Cook. It apparently has a population of 2 (yes... 2!) and is generally deserted. We all took this opportunity to get photos of the locomotive and of the train in general. But it was very very hot here!! Standing in the sun it was just scorching hot! And a large number of flies...

At about four o'clock we could see mountains low in the distance. The land got more hilly and dune-like, still red sand but more and taller trees. Went through Aron Valley and past Aron River.

Cook