The Mighty Indian Pacific

Kalgoorlie Travel Blog

Train boarding was at 11:30am, buy some snacks for the journey! And bring a blanket or something, the carriage gets cold at night. At AU$800 for the sleepers we passed on those and went for the chairs which were AU$200. Might sound expensive to you but flights costs the same, and the distance that you travel is actually quite great! Besides, nothing beats crossing the Nullabor on land. But more about that later!

The train has showers, toilets, lounge carriages, dining carriages, and the carriages with your seats in them. So, you can kind of get up and walk around if you're bored. I spent most of my time working on the scrap book where I'm getting most of my notes for this blog.

The landscape went from suburban, to farmland, to low bush in the first day and at about 10pm we pulled into the town of Kalgoorlie. It was quite empty and obviously everything was shut at 10 o'clock at night, but good to stop at anyway. The train stops and starts a lot to let freight trains pass by and to drop people off in the middle of nowhere along the way. They have movies on the little tv in the seat carriage

Kalgoorlie