Batavia Coast, and on to Wave Rock!

Albany Travel Blog

pink lake, port gregory

Batavia Coast to Wave Rock you say? That is a big day!

The thing I love about Western Australia is the amount of 'coast' names they have; Coral Coast, Turquoise Coast, Batavia coast, Outback Coast, Sunset Coast, Fun Coast... there is something lovely and idyllic about being in a place that ends in the word 'coast'. Anyway I digress

Another early morning and we were off to see some coastal gorges just south of Kalbarri. Red Bluff, Eagle Gorge, Pot Alley, Natural Bridge were the ones we managed to see. There's a whole bunch of them but unfortunately we were pressed for time! We did manage to see some humpback whales off the coast though, they were pretty close!

Batavia Coast is an erosional coastline that's actually pretty similar to the coast that we have in Victoria along the Great Ocean Road.

Wave rock
But redder. Really pretty! Batavia Coast is called so because of a ship that sunk way off the coast; there was a huge mutiny and hundreds of men, women and children were killed. Creepy stuff.

The rest of the day we spent driving. We went back through Port Gregory (where there is a very weird and very pink lake, apparently pink from beta carotene), Northampton, Geraldton, Eneabba (weird name), Perth, York, Quairading, Hyden (where Wave Rock is, I'll tell you about this in a sec), Newdegate, Pingup, Porongurup, Albany. That is a distance of about 1500km! We got to Hyden at sunset really and had about one minute to take all the photos we wanted! Wave Rock is exactly as it sounds... a rock, that looks like a wave. It seems I have some kind of fascination with rocks! Uluru (Ayers Rock)... the Pinnacles... the stromatolites... ok anyway! Then jumped in the car again and hit the road to Albany.

I'll say now that the Hyden - Albany drive in the dead of the night is one of the scariest roads I've been on. There's absolutely nothing for ages, and every so often a bird or kangaroo pops out of nowhere. When you're low on petrol, there's no lights but your cars headlights, it's dark-as, it gets pretty creepy. And at one point I really thought I saw this bird that must have had a wingspan almost the width of the car! It was a very bizarre stretch of road. Slept in the car somewhere near Albany.

Wave rock
Eagle Gorge (where we saw whales!)
Eagle Gorge (where we saw whales!)
lovely spring!